Saturday, November 1, 2014

Gratitude

Attitude of Gratitude.....


Short simple easy to remember yet sometimes difficult to do.  Why?

As you ramble on through life, brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut
And not upon the hole.


Too often I am gazing upon the hole.  Wondering what I missed out on? Pondering how my life would be different if.... nasty word if.   November is designated Thanksgiving.  Traditional at the end of harvest to give thanks.  In Arizona, the relief of getting out of the triple digit weather.  (100 degrees F in October is hard to be grateful for.)  I do believe that every day should be filled with gratitude.  Work at it long enough and becomes the way to view the world and life. 

While looking for the above quote I stumbled on this one:

15 April 1904, New York Sun, pg. 6, col. 5:
Their Points of View.
'Twixt optimist and pessimist
The difference is droll;
The optimist the doughnut sees -
The pessimist the hole.
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entr/keep_your_eye_upon_the_donut_optimists_creed

The first step to becoming and optimist is gratitude.  Gratitude is learned.  Learned by example.  Learned by teaching.  Expecting a child to say, "thank you" helps develop a life long habit.  Years ago I was given an interesting challenge, say an entire prayer only Thanking God for my blessings.  What I learned last year I took the challenge of listing things I am grateful for.  When I express for the smallest things it is easier to see the big things I am thankful for.  Lists, reminders, prayer, all tap into the habit of gratitude.  Gratitude is also something I feel.  I can feel so overwhelmed by gratitude that I cry.  I call these tears happy tears.  Swamped by feeling how blessed I am.



Amazing world we live in:








2 comments:

mulderfan said...

My catch phrase these day is: I'm not always happy but I'm always optimistic.

Ruth said...

Great catch phrase. Thanks