Monday, May 20, 2013

Change and emotions

In order to have a better life & to suffer less, changes have to be made. But change is hard. It's painful to let go of the familiar & embrace the new, even if this new way of living is much better. Change requires grieving what you're giving up, even if this was really bad for you. It was your old familiar habit, attitude or idea & you have to acknowledge the loss as you let it go. Change also requires action. Thinking about change, wanting to change, hoping for change will not bring change. You have to do the work of change. So change is really hard. People love the familiar & fear the new. We prefer inertia to action, but you have to ask yourself then, "Do I want to keep on living this way?" If the answer is "No," then you might find yourself motivated to change. Not because someone told you to, but because you know that doing the work of change right now is the right choice for you.
Change is a constant in my life. I am working on yet another change.  The line that really struck me is the one that states: "Change requires grieving what you're giving up, even if this was really bad for you."  I hadn't thought about grieving letting go of things that were not good for me.  The challenge for me is to separate grieving from becoming depressed again.  Unfortunately, the two are mixed up in my mind, both grieving and depression have similar feelings but are actually quite different.  I thought I would be thrilled to let go of some of the things I do that are bad for me.  I think another thing I need to stop doing is punishing myself for not letting go of some bad habits or choices sooner.  There are certain advantages for forgetting everything because then today is a fresh day.  Part of what I am experiencing is regret for past choices which is different from grieving or depression.  I believe not feeling any emotions for so many years has made me acutely aware of each one now that I am learning to separate and name each emotion.  When I first started to connect to my emotions I felt good or I felt bad, mostly I felt bad.  Feeling 'bad' was why I disassociated in the first place.  Recognizing the array of emotions is mind boggling sometimes.  Naming and identifying what is causing the emotions is sometimes even harder.  But naming the emotions is not enough.  I need to recognize the behavior changes that I need to do.  The scripture that comes to mind is James 2: 17 "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."  Emotions without action are useless, however I don't need to act upon ever emotion.  Some emotions need to be acknowledged and I believe grieving is one of those.  I think I need to do more research on this.  This is taking me in directions that I had not expected to go.  Changing my path and my habits does lead me into new areas, I wonder why I feel surprised that things are different than I expected?


 

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

I have watched several members of AA lose their partners AFTER they sober up. Why? Because they changed but their partner didn't.

You would think sobering up would improve your relationships and for many it does work that way. For some even a positive change is simply too hard to deal with. The partner of an alcoholic is often an enabler who plays a role and feels needed. Their role may have evolved unnoticed through years of conditioning.

I used to look back and beat myself up for ALLOWING myself to be the family punching bag. Time after time I went back to help them out because I was conditioned to seek their approval and I'll admit I thrived on the feeling that they needed me. If they needed me enough maybe they would finally love me!

There's no way to change what happened in the past but I have the power to change the kind of behaviour I will tolerate from others here and now.

First I had to accept that my family will never change and forgive MYSELF for the mistakes I made in the past.

Final step: Establish and ENFORCE boundaries!

100% Worth the effort!



TR said...

I think I often confused depression and grieving too. It is a lot of progress to just be able to identify emotions and feel them. It took me a while to start to do this. And then there is the double edge sword - feeling bad because of a certain emotion. xxoo