Monday, May 13, 2013

Quitting

"Achievement seems to be connected
with action. Successful men and
women keep moving. They make
mistakes, but they don't quit."
- Conrad Hilton

Click Here For Success Tip # 007



This quote caught my attention twice. The first time I listed it under "keep moving," then I listed it under "quitting." When I functioned in parts, depending on which was out on how I interpreted information.  Now, depending on my mood or state of mind I look at things differently.  I think this is one of the hazards of depression.  Sunk in depression everything seems gray.  Sunny days seem dim.  Possibilities seem limited or impossible.  The simplest task seem huge.  Huge task seem impossible.  Quitting is easy...simply stop moving.  When each step feels like your feet are encased in concrete, the next step takes all your might and energy.  The first steps out of depression may only be baby-steps but the very act of moving even a little starts to lessen its grip.  However, if I try to attack depression directly, repeating mantras that I will not be depressed works like Harry Potter's Devil Snare.  http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Devil%27s_Snare Relaxing loosens its grip and sunshine kills it.  Struggling against depression only tightens the strangle hold but relaxing loosens its grip enough to slip away.  Bringing sunshine into my life stops depression right in its path. 


No comments: