Thursday, May 16, 2013

Social Snobbery

A friend shared this awesome video online and I would like to share it here with a few notes as to why I want to share this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/14/abercrombie-and-fitch-homeless-brand-readjustment_n_3272498.html

I shop as little as possible...not a favorite past time of mine.  However, I am very aware that all sort of specialty shops of every variety spring up in every mall.  Abercrombie and Fitch recently explained to the world that they only wanted skinny, 'cool' kids wearing their clothes.  They are proud of being exclusive.  Interestingly enough I shop occasionally for earrings at a store called 5-6-7.  The name is there because that is the only sizes available.  They specialize in those size for teens that want to wear fashionable but are small in size.  Lane Bryant has nothing but plus sizes for women that are large.  Tall and Big men stores also specialize, so why am I so delighted to see someone giving AF clothes to homeless people?  What is about this particular name brand snobbery that irritates me to the point where this video is just awesome to me?  It all boils down to the in-crowd, cool kids, appearance is more important than all else that runs rife through Narc infested families.  Yup, this is a narcissistic trait that drives me crazy.  The person can be the cruelest most egotistical excuse for a human being and if they are skinny and wear the cool clothes then all is well.  This is really a sore spot for me.  I appreciated the analogy by KavinCoach when he said it is like frosting a shit cake and serving it up as a wonderful thing.  Looks good but....  A&F epitomizes the worse about 'coolness' distinction some kids 'got it' and they are pandering to them and their supposed superiority because they have bodies acceptable to a warped standard.  Social snobbery hurts everyone.  This young man in the video found a creative way to remind everyone that every person, homeless or rich, big or small, pimply or pierced deserves respect.  I'll have a bit of time later today, maybe I'll stop by a thrift store to see what could be given to the homeless. 


3 comments:

Tundra Woman said...

Word right there, Ruth.
Thank you.
TW

jessie said...

I love the analogy too, Ruth.

Judith said...

I dunno. There's some Abercrombie clothes I've liked and my son favors the brand... but isn't the idea of coolness a little more original? There's nothing special or unique about Abercrombie clothes. They are relatively bland (albeit nice quality). What's so "cool" about that?

Also, their sizing is waaaayyy different than other stores. It runs very, very small. Informally wear extra small, but even larges at Abercrombie are snug on me. My son, who is slightly underweight (but healthy) can wear their extra larges and not be engulfed. He's gt lie a 28 inch waist.

I'm glad that that dumb CEO's remarks hurt te brand's public opinion. And the guy who made the homeless video is my hero.