Sunday, May 26, 2013

PTSD body and mind

PTSD is in your body, not just your mind

I didn’t understand this for a long time.

PTSD feels like it’s IN your mind. But that’s not completely true. It also inhabits your body, and most of the symptoms you experience directly affect your body, via your adrenal system.

This is a common misunderstanding. After all when PTSD symptoms are triggered, your ability to think rationally disappears. Your brain turns to mush and functioning like a ‘normal’ person is out of the question.

But here’s what you need to know: PTSD causes a disorder of the HPA (hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal) Axis.

This is the connection between your brain (where you perceive the trauma symptoms to be occurring) and the body (your adrenal system)

Join Us Battle Buddy


 Sometimes I run across something that rocks my thinking. Thanks to my sister for posting this today.  I talked to doctors ever since I was 15 years old wanting to know what was wrong with me.  One doctor said adrenal collapse which meant nothing to me.  I was tested so many different ways including a complete brain MRI...hours of poking, prodding, blood tests all came back normal.  They kept telling me it was all in my head.  Out of frustration I asked, "If it is all in my head, why does my body hurt so much?"  I think I just found the starting of an answer.  One of the things it may originate in my head but my body is suffering too.

I learned along time ago that my search for answers is not short and does not go in a linear path, zigs, zags and hops challenge me to keep moving forward.  I pray for answers but they don't come by my time schedule or in a way that I expect.  However, through the Spirit of the Holy Ghost I can learn the truth of all things, not just spiritual questions, but all of my life questions.  Another piece to my puzzle randomly posted on facebook and reposted by my sister.  My summer project to become healthier just had another possibility added to it.

1 comment:

TR said...

I have recently started reading about his and thank you for the explanation. xxoo