Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Choose one thing that you would change about your mental health if you could. And why?


  This is a series of post answering questions posed by Kevin's daughter.  I asked permission to answer each of these questions as if I was answering my adult children.  I will also include a link to Kevin's answer. (I don't read his blog until after I write mine.)

http://voicesofglass.wordpress.com/2014/09/26/choose-one-thing-that-you-would-change-about-your-mental-health-if-you-could-and-why-qtapwmi-day-15/

15. Choose one thing that you would change about your mental health if you could. And why?

Reread this question several times to make sure I understood the question.   I chose to change my mental health and did.  The one glitch I don't seem to be able to conquer, because of growing up dissociated, I don't have a clear concept of time.  It isn't continuous for me.  I struggle so much with missed appointments, saying yes to two different things for the same day not realizing I am double booking myself.  I feel I changed so many other things about myself that I simply set the goal to change then go about making the change.  However, the time thing is just beyond my grasp.  I think it would be great to be able to swallow a time pill and suddenly time makes sense.  My counselor assured me that people without PTSD struggle with time issues too.  I think the biggest disappointment about counseling is not resolving the issues I have with time.  I wonder what my kids wish I would change?  Have you ever noticed how one question leads to another?

1 comment:

Judy said...

I know plenty of people who don't have PTSD who call their electronic devices their brain because it reminds them of appointments.