Saturday, October 11, 2014

Which of your traits and personality would you like to pass on to me and why?

  This is a series of post answering questions posed by Kevin's daughter.  I asked permission to answer each of these questions as if I was answering my adult children.  I will also include a link to Kevin's answer. (I don't read his blog until after I write mine.)

http://voicesofglass.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/which-of-your-traits-and-personality-would-you-like-to-pass-on-to-me-and-why-qtapwmi-day-16/

16.  Which of your traits and personality would you like to pass on to me and why?

I believe this is a question that almost every parent asks themselves at some point in time.   As most of my kids have found out, children tend to learn parental bad habits long before they learn the good ones.  There is another question with in this question....What are my admirable traits?  Living with mental illness in the form of PTSD, my less admirable traits and short comings tend to demand center stage.  It is hard to recognize my concern for others if I can't remember my children's names.  My love for hiking is buried when I can't walk through the grocery store.  My desire to give service is hidden under mounds of dishes waiting to be done in our kitchen.  Do you see the dilemma?  So I thought and pondered about this question.  I finally decided that I hope that you learn faith from me.  Faith in your Savior, Jesus Christ.  Faith that there really is a loving Heavenly Father with a beautiful plan for you.  Faith that you will be punished for your own sins and not mine.  Faith that you were born with gifts to traverse this challenging world.  Faith in yourself.  I believe if you have faith everything else will be added line upon line as you gain understanding.  This world wasn't meant to be easy.  We were sent here on Earth to be tested.  A test implies challenges.  One of my challenges is PTSD.  One of your challenges is a mother with PTSD.  I believe with your own faith you can achieve your hearts desire. 

No comments: