Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Brain Engaged

I know I am feeling better when my brain starts working again.  I remember that there was a time in my life that every day was a sick day.  I couldn't do anything more than 20 minutes at a time.  The changes that over 25 years of work make is fantastic.  My counseling session was today and it went very well.  I have several new ideas to try for improving my life.  Actually they are things I have done before in another context.  It is interesting that I don't always apply what I learn in one are to a different area of functioning.  What I learned at school, I don't always use the same ideas at home.  This time it was the techniques for surviving Thanksgiving, how can a reapply them to other stressful events not related to holidays.  I think that was the hardest thing about functioning as a multiple I had to learn the same thing multiple times.  Now, my counselor reminded me how I used a grounding technique then, suggested that I use a similar technique for this problem.  It felt really good to talk things over and feel like I am making progress.  I meet with her once a month and that seems to be working for me at this stage.  I spent almost 10 years in weekly sessions.  Doing a monthly session is helping me to have someone I can check into see if I am straying too far one way or another.  I also get a fresh perspective.  I believe this is one of the vital things in counseling, get a different perspective on a problem.  I love Einsteins quote:

“Problems cannot be solved with the same mind set that created them.”

No comments: