Monday, March 9, 2015

Dumb stuff

Reading all the articles about why children misbehave not one of them mentioned that kids do 'dumb stuff.'  They are not out to prove anything or revenge or power struggle they just do, usually with zero thought on the consequence.  Painting the house with mud was mimicking adult behavior of painting the house.  The parents, DH and I, did not want the house painted with mud.  But we hadn't told our children about not painting the house with mud.  It simply hadn't occurred to the parents what the kids might do.  Kids do stuff.  The results may be dumb but they are doing.  I think I envy that.  I spent a couple of years playing sudokus as my entertainment to teach myself that the world did not end if I made a mistake.  I gave myself permission to put a big X and move on to the next one.  I needed to reteach myself that it is OK to do dumb stuff.  I am thriving in karate because the teacher allows me to fail.  I don't need to make excuses, apologize, or get punished.  He explains why I failed.  Reteaches me the correct moves and we go on from there.  I am learning to Do.  Kind of cool actually.  But I don't think I will paint the house with mud.  I do think about consequences and I know for sure DH would not appreciate mud on the house. 


No comments: