Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Come a long way baby...

Note: This may be triggering for some people, including me.  

This week was exhausting but gave me plenty of time to think and compare my daughter's experience with childbirth to mine and my mother's.  My mother gave birth to a 9 lb (4 kg) boy over 50 years ago.  It was just her and a nurse that came in from time to time and poor instructions on how to cope.  Her mother arrived the following week to help out.  Fast forward to 34 years ago I gave birth to my 8 lb (3.6 kg) boy with my husband there.  We went to 7 weeks of birthing classes to allow him into the delivery room.  Now, my daughter had the baby's father, sister and me, a nurse, midwife and a team of doctors for backup since there were complications.  I was so in awe that my daughter invited me to participate in this amazing experience.  I thought long and hard.  Even if I could, I would not have invited my mother.  Here is an example why.  When I was in the hospital after the delivery of my first child, I didn't know that you had to order every little thing on the menu.  If you said toast that was exactly what you got, a piece of toast.  No butter, no jam, nothing but a piece of toast.  I didn't order enough to eat and I was starving hungry.  I called my mother to bring me something to eat when she came to visit that night.  She assured me that was no problem and did I like honey dew melon?  Love it.  Yes, please, bring me some honey dew melon.  She was so generous she brought me an entire melon but no knife to cut it.  It was totally what I asked for and totally useless for meeting my needs. Now, most people would say, get over it.  It should go down in history as one of life's bloopers.  But it was just one of many such times.  Do what looked good but leaving my needs unmet.  I think about how many times I have tried hard but just didn't meet someone else's need.  I have certainly done such a thing myself.   Letting it go is doable.

Why the deep resentment that really pushed my buttons?  It wasn't her lack of meeting my needs that still leaves me upset so many years later, it is a combination of things that she did.  She used fear to raise me.  She told me how she worked in a children's hospital that the badly deformed children had teenage mothers.  I was 19 when I married and became pregnant.  I was so terrified I couldn't bring the baby home after the delivery that I didn't even own a baby blanket to bring the baby home in.  Through out the pregnancy, she pointed out all the negatives and emphasized the nightmare possibilities.   My reaction - I had nothing ready for the baby to be born.  Not because I didn't want this baby very much but because I was so afraid that because I was a teenage mother the baby would be too deformed to bring home.  No use preparing for something you can't keep.   (Later learned that very young teenage mothers as in 13 and 14 years old are the ones at high risk.)

My mother also declared to me that she was too young to be a grandmother.  She associated becoming a grandmother with being old and how dare I make her feel old.  Narcissism reared its ugly head.  She decided that my children were not allowed to call her grandma, they had to call her Gram.  (There is a piece of irony,  she insisted on being called a small measurement of weight.)  She totally rejected my children before they were even born.  She made a big joke about only her children were important, not the grandchildren.  What she refused to grasp my children are the most important thing to me.  Rejecting them was rejecting me but then that was no big surprise.  I moved a thousand miles away from her for over 15 years.  My children only saw her about once a year.  Now, she blames me that she has very little relationship with my children.  I am impressed my my children that recognize her poor behavior for what it is but are kind and respectful any way.  (I have amazing kids.)

I realize that the more I write the angrier I feel.  After 34 years of carrying this pain I need to let it go.  Now, I make lots of baby blankets.  I give them to my daughters, my daughter-in-laws, friends, family, whoever I meet that is pregnant.  I want them to have what I didn't have, the hope to bring your baby home in a blanket.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ruth

I hope you are well and I hope the birth wasn’t too traumatic for everyone involved.

May I share my story with you.

Forty-two years ago I weighed only six and half stone. I’m only five foot tall and small boned so it was a big shock when I gave birth to a 9lb 110z baby boy eighteen months after marrying.
I wanted my first baby to be born at home with my husband and the lovely midwife I had got to know but after 18 hours of labour the midwife felt it necessary for me to go to hospital because I needed help.

I was terrified of hospitals. When I was a child my mother would threaten to have me EXAMINED by doctors in hospital because I had developed nervous twitches and OCD. This was because she was so cruel to me. If she ever caught me twitching she would hit me so hard I was knocked off my feet, when this didn’t have the desired affect she would cut my hair off which made me twitch all the more; (I don’t think it ever occurred to her if she had been nice to me I wouldn’t have had those idiosyncrasies). Hence my fear of hospitals.

When we got to the hospital they sent my husband home. (This was over forty years ago and things are very different today, thank goodness) My baby boy wasn’t born for another 12 hours and the birth was brutal and traumatic. I remember one of the nurses calling me stupid because I couldn’t push him out. (Stargazer babies are very difficult to deliver) When she saw the size of him at least she had the decency to hang her head in shame whenever I caught her eye. However I still remember that wonderful feeling of pure joy when I held my baby boy in my arms for the first time.

When my mother and father came at visiting time I was having blood transfusions and I was still in shock. There were no smiles or words of comfort, just “Where is he?” When I said he was in intensive care, they were not pleased and I think they felt they had had a wasted journey

My second son (another whopper) was born ten years later by caesarean section in a private hospital.

I wish you and your family well.

Love
Molly

Ruth said...

Thank you Molly for sharing your story. Our little one this weekend was a star gazer too. I like this term better than sunny side up. Star gazer has a feeling of different yet beautiful. The little family is doing well. I have a session with my counselor today.

mulderfan said...

Took us 2 1/2 years to conceive our baby girl and we were the butt of off colour jokes from my NF the whole time.

When the baby finally came after 19 hours of labour she was breach and I had to have an emergency C-section. I was under anesthetic for the delivery and ever since my NM has taunted me with the fact that she saw my baby before I did! NM also says I screwed up and couldn't even deliver a baby the right way, as if I was somehow responsible for the breach position.

When I got home, the old bat moved in for two weeks and stole that magical time parents have when they 1st bring their new baby home. My DH and I longed to have our baby girl to ourselves but we could do nothing right in NM eyes.

NF was nowhere in sight for the 1st three months because my DH had asked him to remove his shoes before entering our house the day the baby and I were to come home so he left in a rage.

The evil duo have managed to mar every important milestone in my life!

So glad you have broken the chain, Ruth!

Love, P/M

Ruth said...

Thanks P/M for sharing your story. It is amazing how Ns desire to take the joy out of everything. You are breaking chains yourself. :) Thanks for all your encouragement.

Anonymous said...

I agree, stargazer is a lovely description. My son continued to sleep that way with his chin on the pillow; it used to make me smile.

I forgot to say about the melon. How thoughtless of your M. If that had have been my daughter I would have cut out the seeds, made the rest into balls and brought them round in a Tupperware container with cutlery and a napkin. What was she thinking? Surely being in your nightdress without access to a kitchen should have been enough of a hint.

Molly

Ruth said...

Thanks Molly, your comment makes me smile. You get how to be a mom. :)

Anonymous said...

That melon story is kind of hilarious in how hopeless and clueless it is! She brought you a melon and...now what. you have a whole honeydew melon in your hand. I understand that she made a mistake..but did she do anything to correct it? If it was a mistake, she should've corrected it. What did she do? Just stand there and go, oh, well. here it is. Oops, forgot a knife, too bad, it's over now. Can't do nothing about it. I guess i'll just let you continue to starve now or whatever.
Your mom certainly didn't try hard, that's for sure.
The least she could've done was go find you a knife or get you SOMETHING to eat, i mean, the whole point is you ARE hungry.
I'm sure it was incredibly frustrating for you then and kind of just plain ridiculous looking at it from the outside today.

These birth stories are fascinating!

Ruth said...

Actually that was almost exactly what she said with a little shrug to her shoulder. Letting me go hungry was not new. I learned a lot of what NOT to do. Thanks Lisa.

Kathy said...

Thank God my Mom isn't like that. :) I have the best Mom in the world.

Ruth said...

Thanks Kathy, Mom's love hearing that. :)