Thursday, October 20, 2011

There is a reason...

Well today's update.  My daughter wrote an eviction notice for her baby.  She believes after nine months enough is enough and she wants to hold her precious little boy on the outside.  We went for a lovely walk this evening.  She may need that eviction notice next week.

There is a reason that after 8 years I am still in counseling.  Talked with NewCounselor.  I knew in my heart that the reading he gave me he did not intend for me to get so upset.  He confirmed that in our discussion.  He pointed out that the examples that work for some people don't work for me.  He kindly said, "You are not typical."  How lovely.   I'm ok with not being typical.  I will reread the same material but this time pulling out the principles behind the examples.  Maybe I could work on a few examples of my own that make sense to me.

I am also starting to find a way to have fun at work.  I have time to research stuff for early childhood development online as part of my job.  I am finding some cool websites for doing fun stuff with the grandkids.  They are getting big enough that finger painting and play dough are now fun and don't automatically go in the mouth.  Enjoying my family was my goal to going to counseling.  I am happy to say all the work is paying off in great dividends with friends and family relationships improving. 

If you are considering going to counseling, do your homework before, during and I suspect after.  Before you choose your counselor find out what you can.  (NewCounselor had a web page that shared information about his ideas and background that helped me decide to choose him.)  When you are in counseling, do your homework.  Counselors give homework.  Sessions talk about theory, homework puts the theory into practice.  Be prepared to let go of old ways to make room for new ways of living.  If religion is important to you express this to your counselor.  If religion is a hot button, you still need to discuss this with your counselor.  Anyone considering counseling, I admire your courage because it is really tough to open up to someone else that is human therefore imperfect.  Through my life I have encountered 6 counselors.  Three from my job, one from my medical doctor, and two that I chose.  Counselors are not created equal.  Some are down right scary.  Fortunately, my life is blessed by two amazing counselors that taught me a lot.  I also have an amazing family, sister, friends, creating a team of people that enrich my life.  I suspect in the future when I am no longer in counseling I will continue to assign myself homework to improve the relationships that I cherish.

My religion is very important to me and I thank my Heavenly Father everyday for the blessings I enjoy.  I believe with all my heart that my Savior Jesus understands me better than anyone it the world or out.  I feel his love and in turn I can share mine.  I am so very blessed each day. 


Get your ducks in a row. 

3 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

I really like the idea of looking at examples and finding the principles behind it and adapting to self. Go you!

mulderfan said...

Good advice! If the counselor is not a match it is not a reflection on either one of you and it's best to move on. Seldom do we find the right one on the 1st try!

Have fun with the grandkids and keep me posted on the new one via FB!

Hugs P/M

Ruth said...

Thanks Laurel and mulderfan. Updates will come when I have them.