Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What I can change...

Exceptional Living on Facebook
No message could have been any clearer. If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change.


Light post looks like it is holding up the sky.

I think I am finally done with my self evaluation.  The bottom line is I knew in high school that something was wrong with how I viewed the world.  I knew that some how I was getting things distorted.  I kept searching for answers.  I have a lot of books on improving relationships and other ideas of making me a better person.  Unfortunately, until I humbled myself to get into counseling I kept going in circles.  The advantage of all the work I did before counseling is I easily accepted the information that I needed to change myself.  The hard part was finding out my fantasy childhood was just that, a fantasy.  A harder part was recognizing how my way of functioning affected those I love the most my family of choice.   I appreciate my sister for standing by me and letting me vent to her and her validating that the distortions were taught to both of us.  No one else could validate what I finally remembered from my childhood except her.  It was all to easy to want to disbelieve what happened.  Here is the really cool thing I have learned.  My past does not define me and with spiritual guidance from my Heavenly Father I am learning how I can take the shards and shambles of my life and make something beautiful. 

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

So glad you have Judy to validate for you.

I notice many ACoNs have siblings who do just the opposite. Both of my brothers at one time acknowledged the dysfunction, the older one is now dead but they began towing the party line and said I'm crazy.

Years ago, having them all gang up shook my confidence to the point I consulted a psychiatrist, who told me I was not the crazy one!

Now I realize this sort of denial is just one of the tactics used to cover up the misdeeds of narcissists.

Ruth said...

I think it was very hard on Judy before I remembered. Because family members said she was unreasonable. Now I recognize that she is the most reasonable one out of all of us. Distortions and lies to avoid change make living so much more difficult. Once truth is sought, it will be found. Just might not like what you see. I am glad your psychiatrist was able to validate who had the distorted perspective.