Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Shattered Glass

shattered glass
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aknacer/2998934126/

I don't have permission to display the picture but I linked it or you can visualize one of your own.

Today I share a poem that I pinned to the ceiling over my bed when I was in high school.  When I married my mother used all my posters except this one.  She knew and I knew in high school that I was really messed up.




I am like shattered glass
Cutting those who touch me
I have been broken
I am hard and sharp
People can see through me.
They know I can hurt them
I am never confronted
I am always walked around.
– Lori Gauntlet
  
I knew then that I was broken inside.  I just didn't realize I was shattered until I was counseling.  I pondered the words still over 30 years later.  I almost didn't get married or have children because I was afraid I would hurt them.  I learned that I am not unique in hurting those I love the most.  That is why things like "I am sorry," "I didn't mean to hurt you," "How can I become the person that doesn't hurt others?" I am learning what to do with all that shattered glass.
 

7 comments:

mulderfan said...

Shattered glass makes me think of mosaics like those made by the Spanish artist/architect, Antoni Gaudi. When I got home from a visit to Spain, I was so inspired I used shattered tiles from the local reuse depot to cover my front step. (You can see the results on in my Facebook album, Retirement Projects.)

So, much like the saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." I think you've been using the pieces to build a beautiful mosaic, Ruth.

Everything depends on your point of view!

Love P/M

Ruth said...

Thanks (((P/M))) I'll check out the picture. :)

Stacey Charter said...

Wow - what powerful words from the teen ager you were. Thank God you have learned how to pick up the broken pieces and fit them back together in a way that makes you beautiful and whole!

Shen said...

It is always amazing when we look back and see ourselves as we were, then, isn't it? Hindsight is a whole different thing from walking through life.

Glass can be sharp and jagged, but also can be reflective and can let light in... so maybe that is the kind of glass you are today?

Ruth said...

Thank you Stacy. I appreciate your comment. I think you will like my next few posts.


Shen this week of evaluating my progress has been 'enlightening.' I hadn't thoought about glass being reflective as well as letting in light. I like the additional concepts. Thanks.
Ruth :)

Anonymous said...

Your integrity really shines through regarding your commitment to going through proper channels to post a photograph. Honestly, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I've gotten fairly lax about it. I guess with Tumblr blogging being all the rage where the whole idea is to just link and relink (or reblog) without much thought for who actually created the image in the first place has made people forget. With Flicker and the rest of the photo directories out there, it's become an assumption that as long as you link to the (seemingly) original poster, you're "good to go." Not so much though when you really think about what a copyright means. I have noticed how respectful and responsible you are regarding other people's work and I really admire that.

That being said, thank you for sharing this poem. Very powerful and resonating.

Ruth said...

I'm a photographer myself and I like to let people know how I am using their picture. I had a person object once, so I learned to ask first. I feel it is perfectly OK to add links. Some believe you are not a really good artist until someone steals your work. :) I try to make my images large enough that they can be used for a desktop image. I figure if the picture brings a message to me, maybe someone else could use the same message. A lot of people do use Tumblr and Flicker for sharing, that is their intent. I have also connected with some very awesome artists by asking about their work. I do have 15 GB of pictures of Chihuly glass that I can not use. I love his glass art but it is his. Some day I want to go to one of his workshops to shoot pictures not make glass. :) Thanks again for helping me with the links.