Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Earned a Chocolate bar

Last year when I flew to see my daughter in another state I ended up crying in security.  I had nightmares and anxiety for days before flying today.  I decided to pay attention to which line appeared to have no full body scanner and no matter how I did emotionally, I would earn a chocolate bar if I made it through security.  I made it.  (Please don't lecture to me about how using food for a reward is unhealthy relationship with food.  I figure chocolate is for dementors* and airport security.)  Looking forward to leaving the airport where my daughter lives, it has amazing chocolate shoppe right at the top of the stairs after security.  Instead of sitting stressing out, I allowed myself to walk the corridors.  In flight, I shot pictures from the air.  Awesome picture of the Grand Canyon.  I'll find out later how the pictures turned out.  I am hear, fed and enjoyed playing with grandkids and watching a movie with my daughter.  (We Bought a Zoo is a great movie that touched my heart.)  PTSD haunts me but doesn't rule me. 

*Dementors characters in the Harry Potter Series that guarded Azkaban http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Dementor

5 comments:

Kara said...

A well deserved chocolate bar ;) I will try this next month when I fly on my own to see my friend in Portugal. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Ruth! Enjoy your vacation. I hope you share your photos on your blog :-)

Laurel Hawkes said...

Awesome!!

Anonymous said...

chocolate is for dementors and ptsd, YES, this is what professor lupin wanted us to take away from third year defense against the dark arts. :) i'm so proud of you for having come so far with the anxiety, i remember the last time i was in an airport and it was sooooo overwhelming. one day i hope i can recover enough to enjoy it as you did?! :)

Ruth said...

Thanks everyone.