Saturday, June 30, 2012

Cheer up

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.  Mark Twain

 Mark Twain was new age before it became popular.  :)  I often blow off those that spout out about we get back what we send out to the universe.  There is no way I am going to believe that as a child I sent out what came my way.  However, I do believe that as adults if we treat others poorly eventually someone will treat us with the same disregard.  I learned that the fastest way to cheer myself up is to spend time with someone I enjoy either in person or on the internet.  I appreciate the computer allowing me to connect with others in ways that I never dreamed possible as a kid.  

My personality is I enjoy bringing comfort to others so small acts of service bring me joy.  This week I was restricted in my activities due to a health problem connected with growing older.  By Wednesday I tried to do more stuff but just ended up hurting myself.  Fortunately a friend called me and said she needed file folder games (http://filefolderfun.com/) cut out for a children's shelter.  I sat quietly cutting out stuff for hours and it lifted my spirit thinking about tired, scared kids having something to play with for a few minutes.  It also kept me down for a day.  I then remembered that over 20 years ago that being down all day was my life.  A family and no energy to take care of them.  Severe depression gobbled up my life yet I didn't feel sad.  My PTSD taught me to disconnect from my emotions.  Medical doctors tried to tell me I was depressed and didn't know it.  I couldn't wrap my mind how I could NOT know that I was depressed.  I now know.  What they called depression, I called an average day.  Depression set in by 15 years old.  I had highlights and with multiple personalities I could switch to one that was happy while the depression built up until it controlled my life and I had no faith in medical doctors knowing what was going on with me.  I thought I was different but not all that unusually.  When I complained when I was 15, I was assured that I was just like every other teenager.  I wasn't.  A lot has changed in 40 years.  I am thankful for the many improvements in treating people with depression and PTSD.  There is still more to learn.  I feel cheered when I hear from someone that something I said or wrote helped them a little. 


Something that I enjoy - Chihuly Glass
Imagine this one in a desert setting....
http://www.chihuly.com/blue-and-purple-boat-2006_detail.aspx


Hotel in Las Vegas 







4 comments:

Judith said...

For some reason, this tactic rarely works for me. Not to say that I don't think I should try to cheer others. But what happens to me is that I get torn up with whether or not I am cheering up well enough. I get too caught up in being the best cheerer upper for the person, whether I cure what ails the well enough. So I get all twisted up inside, like I'm failing even when I'm doing ok.

I'm pretty sure this is due to trying to make my mother happy and never getting it right.

Cassandra said...

Oooh, pretty!

Ruth said...

I know what you mean vicariousrising, I first had to let go of the belief that I could please my mother, took almost two years. Then I learned that perfection kills joy. I now strive for improvement. I hit improvement quite frequently.

Thanks Cassandra. :)

Kara said...

The Chihuly glass is amazing, I didn't know that he had also created the chandelier at the V&A which is absolutely stunning. There you are, you learn something new everyday. Thanks Ruth!