Thursday, March 28, 2013

Confession

"It's never too late to become the
person you might have been."
- George Elliot


They say that confession is good for the soul. I am not so sure some times. Today, I just feel sheepish. Recently, I ran into several articles about Mr. Rogers.  My first reaction is always negative.  He came into my life when I was a teenager and my younger brother got out of helping around the house because he was watching Mr. Rogers.  I made cynical jokes about him.  Ignored him.  Didn't let my kids watch him much.  Poor man, didn't know about my tiny hate campaign. 

What was his main crime? Gentleness.  Yup, that was it.  How dare he present something that just wasn't real to kids?  What kind of monster promises kids that they are special just the way they are?  Years of counseling reveals the source of my deep well of bitterness, not much gentleness in my life.  Gentleness was as unrealistic to me as his Neighborhood.  I would catch myself watching his show in awkward curiosity.  Did people like him actually exist?

Here is a link to a few of his quotes:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/31936/20-gentle-quotations-mister-rogers  

I now wished I encouraged my kids to watch him a little more often.  I wish I hadn't been so cynical about him when I was a teenager.  I really could have used his wisdom.  He set out to make a difference with children.  His own personal quest to teach children that they are worth having as his neighbor.  He had friends, King Friday, trolley and others; he shared his friends on every show.  He taught that each child is worth getting to know just the way the are.  He believed that children deserve respect.  He taught the emotions are a part of living.  Sharing feelings is a good thing.  Peace was more than not fighting.  The man carried out his gentle revolution teaching for over 30 years that children are important neighbors.  


A few more links:
Who is Mr. Rogers http://pbskids.org/rogers/
What is not true about Mr. Rogers http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

No comments: