Friday, March 22, 2013

How to know what I value...

http://www.livingauthentically.org/2011/11/the-path-to-a-satisfying-life/
Thanks to Evan for a wonderful article that had a series of half started sentences that can help me evaluate what I value.  What is important to me.  As I move past surviving and into thriving, this becomes more important.


  • What did you just love doing as a child (younger than say 10-12y.o. Before analytic thought tends to kick in)?
  • What sorts of things do you think about during idleness?
  • Pick three things you love and three things you hate and look for similarities and differences.
  • Imagine your perfect day or year.
  • Imagine yourself in old age telling the story of your life.
  • What is just so easy to do for you (that others inexplicably find difficult)?


Learning to create my own story becomes a challenge coming from a home where I was told what to do and feel each day.  If I expressed a sentiment different then expected, I was corrected.  I was punished for feeling angry, told that I had to eat certain foods even if they made me sick, I was not allowed to own my feelings.   As I started discovering my own likes and dislikes this opened a world of opportunities that I didn't even know existed.  I remember the first time my counselor asked me, "What do you want?"  I was puzzled.  This just hadn't occurred to me as an option.  When KavinCoach coaxed what brings you happiness.  My reaction was angry.  I didn't say anything at the session but the following week I brought back an almond Joy bar with huge fish hook sticking through it.  I let him know that for me anything I wanted had a hook.  It was used to manipulate me.  I had no concept of asking for and receiving something I asked just because I asked for it.  I didn't know what I liked.  I had not done the teenage exploration that is supposed to be part of growing up.  Now I am experimenting.  I made Alfredo sauce from scratch.  (very yummy)  I am trying different types of exercises.  I am taking a rest from my photography to try to better understand what direction I want to go with my hobby.  I accepted that I do not want to become a professional photographer.  I do like sharing my love of photography.  I am starting to understand the massive loss of not being a teenager.  I was the designated care taker in the family.  The go-to person for my mother when she felt overwhelmed between her job and home.  I complied.  Did as I was told.  No growth happened when I should have rebelled and told my parents to go jump in a lake.  This process has a name, individuation, fancy word for finding out who I am.  Evan gave me some tools to use in the process.  I am a late bloomer but I am still growing.


4 comments:

Tundra Woman said...

Thank you for this, Ruth. I really enjoy how you bring different resources together and share your responses to them. It jolted a memory for me when you spoke about your reaction to, "What do you want?" The first time I had this thought/question, it was if a sanskrit roll or some unknown "Greek"-type language had been handed/spoken to me. I could hardly wrap my mind around this question, never mind give any kind of answer!
Your photos are so beautiful. I love to come here sometimes just to take in your photos again because they're so complexly extraordinary...so peaceful and calming for me to take in. Thanks for these as well, for sharing your generosity in yet another area of your life.
TW

Evan said...

You're welcome, glad it helped, Evan.

Tundra Woman said...

OOPS! Many thanks Evan and YES! It was very helpful.
TW

Evan said...

Great to hear, Evan