Thursday, October 3, 2013

Compliments Revisited

KavinCoach was the first one to note that I do not accept compliments gracefully.  He taught me when I get a compliment the correct response is Thank you.  That works in theory.  It works with healthy people.  Unfortunately, my childhood environment was a long way from healthy.  Compliments were back handed ones, a thorn with every rose, the worm covering the hook, followed with a 'but' and a lengthy criticism to cut me down to size...their compliment sounded a bit like this..."You may be good at _____________ BUT you could do this better by _______________."  So I had an on going project of reviewing and changing my attitude towards compliments.  However, I discovered a new problem.  I observed this week that now that I am loosing enough weight to be noticeable I am not handling compliments about my change in weight.  The down side is I start self sabotaging by heading straight for the chocolate and cookies preferably chocolate cookies.  Then I crave more junk food and then I feel guilty and any compliment is a disaster for me.  I reset my goals so that I am loosing less weight per week.  That released some of the anxiety.  So readers, I am asking, does anyone have suggestions on how to keep compliments from becoming deterrents to healthy living?  Thanks in advance to whoever is willing to share their experience.  Ruth


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Ruth
My mother was also the ‘queen’ of the barbed compliment. People who make barbed comments are usually spiteful and jealous of their ‘victims’. Here’s one example.
My baby grandson fell asleep in my arms and my mother said “Oh, he loves his grandma; he loves being cuddled by his grandma. (Here comes the barb...) His cuddly, cuddly, CUDDLY!! grandma” She was highlighting the fact that in her opinion I was overweight. The barbed compliment is a soul crusher.
I can understand your discomfort with compliments. If you'd had genuine compliments whilst growing up I don’t think there would be a problem.

mulderfan said...

Wow! We really ARE sisters! Not being able to accept a compliment was pointed out to me in group counseling. I might say thank you but follow it up with a self put-down or some "smart" remark.

My problem was I just couldn't believe I deserved compliments so I had to turn them into a joke.

I began to realize not accepting a compliment appropriately was just as hurtful as handing back a carefully chosen gift, which was one of NF's favourite ways to hurt me. So, I began to practice just saying "thank you" PERIOD. That was four years ago and it's still hard.

IMO, This a another example of where we're overcoming a life-time of conditioning and need to be patient with ourselves.

Ruth, remind yourself you DESERVE to enjoy compliments for your weight loss. You've worked hard and you've earned the right to enjoy the rewards.

Try starting every day with a self-affirmation. Mine is reminding myself OUT LOUD that I am a nice, decent person who deserves to be happy. What's yours?

Ruth said...

Loved reading this first thing this morning. Thank you mulderfan. I love the idea that we "DESERVE to enjoy compliments."

Ruth said...

Thank you colleen Kellie for sharing your experience. I am sorry that you received the same types of barbed comments.

Judy said...

Wow. She refined her compliment technique with me from you. "You look beautiful. You'd look so much better if you only __________..."

I wasn't able to accept compliments with a simple "thank you" until someone told me, "Say thank you and shut up." I learned to say thank you and shut up, even in my head.

I was able to lose weight and accept compliments until NM noticed. "Wow! You've lost weight!" Like it was a major shocker, though in her own mind she was simply being enthusiastic. I promptly gained 10 lb in two weeks and 20 in a couple months and then 30 lb.

However (but) like you, I don't know how to handle compliments about my weight. I do handle compliments about my writing just fine... hmmm... my writing means more to me... my writing is something I am at my core... it's my head and heart... my weight is my body...

Hmmm... the weight is about the body... the evil body that enticed males three times my age to do unspeakable things to me...

Maybe it isn't about weight but about the body. Maybe we've been looking at this from the safe perspective instead of tackling the ugly truth. It isn't about weight, it's about being noticed. Needing to change our abject fear of being noticed inappropriately...