Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Graduating feels good

SELF-WORTH. Sometimes your greatest teachers in life had no idea just what they taught you. Especially those who treated you the worst. The day you said, “I deserve much better than this” was the day you graduated from their class. — Unknown


I am rereading what I wrote yesterday about the brief conversation I had with my mother. I am feeling good realizing that her usual questions about my weight change didn't fluster me, didn't send me to the cookie jar, and I didn't feel a need to explain myself. I am realizing it felt good to give a simple yes to the question about my weight loss and even better when she probed with are you feeling good? Yes. I am learning that 'Yes' is a complete sentence.

I just realized that this qualifies me for #1 things to give up that my sister posted on Facebook.  A chart listing 10 things to give up to move forward with life. 
http://www.marcandangel.com/2012/08/20/10-things-you-must-give-up-to-move-forward/

I need to give up {#1 Letting the opinions of others control your life.} if I want to move forward in life. 

I remember talking to MyCounselor during a session and expressing my concern that a choice I was considering might make someone else angry.  His response, "So."  My face must have looked pretty peculiar when my jaw hit the floor and the bewilderment was very evident.  He repeated, "So, he gets angry, that is his problem."  Much of my life I coward in fear of the opinions of other people.  People that didn't treat me kindly.  People that did not have my best interest at heart.  I am finally grasping this concept that my opinion is the one that matters.  How cool is that.  Its official I am a 55 year old teenager. 


Things I like:






2 comments:

Evan said...

There is a saying that I think has much truth in it: What you think of me is none of my business.

TR said...

Love, love that quote. Thank you. xx TR