Monday, September 5, 2011

Depression Definition

“We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.”
- Anais Nin
 I am working on a project that I am trying to come up with as many different ways that I can for describing being depressed.  'I am feeling blue.'  'Not so good today.' 'Discouraged'..... What I am hoping is in the comment box add a few ways you describe feeling depressed.  If you don't want your comment posted just say so in the post or use anonymous. 
One of the big hurdles I experienced was that what I thought depression was didn't match my medical doctor's.  He said that I was depressed and didn't know it.  I had been kept up for 4 days and not feeling in the least bit reasonable and yelled back that I knew what depression was and I wasn't depressed.  Years later KavinCoach redefined depression for me.  I had considered despair boarding on suicide as depression.  
KavinCoach gently asked, "Have you ever felt angry and then didn't do anything about it?"   
"Of course," I replied.
"That is a form of depression.  You are depressing your angry feelings." KavinCoach.
"Oh crumbs I feel that way every day."  I knew the feeling but the name just didn't match.  


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very troubled person I used to know referred to extreme states of depression, the kind that brought on extreme behavior, as "feeling stupid."

I've thought about that often.

- GKA

mulderfan said...

In a funk.

Ruth said...

Thanks, I hadn't thought of these.

Laurel Hawkes said...

"I'm feeling off, today." "I've felt better." "I hope I feel more like myself, soon." "I just want to curl up and sleep." "Make the world go away." "When will I feel better?" "No matter what I do, it's wrong." "Why can't I figure out my life?" "What's wrong with me?"

Anonymous said...

Depression is anger turned inward.

Depression is when brushing your teeth feels like running a marathon.

Ruth said...

These are great additions. Thanks everyone.

Evan said...

In a brown study. Life's not worth it.

Ruth said...

Thanks Evan. Those will be added to my growing list.

Taryn said...

Depression is forgetting how to smile. And when laughing hurts (and I don't mean your tummy).

Ruth said...

Thanks Taryn, you are right. That is a hard feeling. I appreciate you sharing.

Sandy said...

Depression is the darkness that won't let you sleep. It is the hunger for food that won't allow you to be full. It is the punch in the gut that hits so hard it leaves a mark on your soul. Depression is a thief in the night that makes off with your dreams and leaves you to weak to chase down what you have lost.

Ruth said...

Your description is the one I thought of when arguing with the doctor. That place where living seems marginal at best, a bit of hell at worse.