Friday, September 23, 2011

Doing the opposite

Katherine Mansfield
The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free your actions will be.
Katherine Mansfield

One of the tough situations in my childhood comes from an early memory around 5 years old where I am instructed to take care of my mother.  I was 5, isn't that supposed to be the other way around?  When I started raising my own children as much as possible I tried to do the opposite of my mother.  I do not have documented proof but my sister, Judy, on her blog went through each and every attribute of narcissistic behavior and my mother matched them all.  Judy recapped all the ways my mother was unhealthy.  I suggested in a comment, very late that night to write the opposite.  I wanted to see what healthy looks like.  I was delighted the next morning and there it was.  This amazing post that I happen to know she wrote before my comment.  She chose to post it separately.  Enjoy what to me is a list of healthy choices that can be turned into goals of improvement:

http://theprojectbyjudy.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/recap-making-a-different-choice/

I really like this list.  It encapsulates many of the things that my counselors have spent years trying to help me understand.   I want to thrive but it is hard to do when I don't know what it looks like.  Like trying to describe a rainbow.  No matter what you say it all seems inadequate to actually experiencing it.  Thanks for an awesome post Judy. 








5 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

Thanks ((Ruth))

mulderfan said...

Seems like I could use my NPs as role models after all. We could coin a new term "reverse role model". (If they find out they'll expect me to thank them!!)

Made myself LOL!

Ruth said...

Laurel, Your welcome. :)

We laughed too, Judy and I were reading this together. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

oh damn that second picture is gorgeous. i love rainbows and colors!

Ruth said...

Thanks Lisa.