Friday, September 2, 2011

Likeable

Margaret Thatcher
If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.

My world tilted today.  I am back at work at a job I love helping a photography teacher.  I was talked to for 15 minutes starting Wednesday I will work at the same school in Early Childhood Education.  Don't get me wrong I think this is VERY important.  It is just not what I want to do.  I am job hunting again.  Not quitting the day job but I feel like if I am always accommodating someone else's wishes I will not arrive where I want to go.  I am liking negotiations a LOT and I wasn't given any wiggle room.  Need to look at my options. 

Quick side note.  I had an idea that change was in the air and I chose to go with the flow for now.  About 6 years ago I had a similar switch in jobs and had almost a complete melt down.  Now, mildly annoyed and looking for options.  I am very excited by yet another milestone in just one week. 





10 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

Congratulations on handling this so well.

Ruth said...

Thanks. :)

mulderfan said...

From photography to Early Childhood is quite a change! You'd probably be good with the little ones but you're right not to compromise. There is great joy in "working" at something you love and sticking to your resolve/principals is very empowering.

I'm glad to hear that you are better equipped to handle this surprise challenge!

I walked out on a volunteer job with an amateur theatre group last year after struggling with "letting them down". Most of my "friends" in the troop have stopped speaking to me but after spending years trying to make everyone like me, it felt great to finally say NO!

Good luck with the job hunt, Ruth. Your new confidence will make it easier.

Hugs, P/M

Ruth said...

Thank you P/M. I think the person's comments that told me about the change that most people go on to other jobs helped cement my decision to look else where. :)

mulderfan said...

I should have added, that because I left that volunteer "job" I went on to find another which is a like a dream come true for me...preserving and promoting local heritage!

Ruth said...

Woohoo. I love it. :) I am happy for you that you found a place where your talents are appreciated. (hugs)

admin said...

Good luck on the job hunt - good for you for not setteling!

Ruth said...

Thanks Sanative.

Anonymous said...

Ruth, Not only is it (your decision) your "call" but the fact you RECOGNIZE this is a huge accomplishment.

Can you possibly image the "Ruth" just a few short years ago entertaining options? Wouldn't have happened back there....

Your journey is such an inspiration-thanks so much for including those of us out here in the ether!

Ruth said...

Anon I know what I did a few short years ago and it was not looking for other options in a positive optimistic way. It didn't happen then. Thanks for your encouragement.