Friday, December 16, 2011

Halleluia....

My Dad has a beautiful singing voice but criticism soon stopped him singing.  However, he did instill in me a love for music.  In high school and college I performed in the school choirs.  It was one of the few memories that I retained and didn't loose.  Many of my favorite choral pieces were Christmas Carols.  Hundreds of Carols.  One year I was part of a small singing group that were hired to sing down town every evening at the different stores.  I memorized my part and joined the fun.  One of my all time favorites is

Händel Messiah - Hallelujah Chorus

 I had the pleasure of singing this song multiple times.  I watched it many more times.  One year I saw it performed at Graddy Gammage, acoustically it is one of them most outstanding theaters in the world.  I learned that there is a tradition that you stand for this chorus; the King of England was so moved by this chorus that he stood.  Since no one could sit while the king stood, everyone stood.  The music is amazing.  I am sharing links to 3 of my favorite versions of this amazing song.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiAsWR4qU

Thanks to Nikonsniper I have a link to one of my favorite versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE


Saved the best for last....Thanks to my friend W for sharing this link.... Silent Monks (Corrected, thanks Judy.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFCeJTEzNU&feature=youtube_gdata_player


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the hallelujah chorus, have you ever been to a sing-along this time of year? My sister has been in many choirs, and one year they did a sing-along Messiah so I trundled along and tried my best to keep up with a music score book and an alto part that was different from the melody! :) Fun though. <3