Friday, December 2, 2011

Traditions or Mill Stones

Do you ever do something every year and really hate it but still do it because it is a tradition?  For me, it is turkey.  The turkey and I have had some horrible battles through the years and I can honestly say the darn turkey won more than once.  What to do?  I could not have it, try to learn a better way to cook it or plan C.  Well one year I didn't fix turkey.  Bought the juiciest most tender steak and felt totally disappointed.  For some reason I wanted the smell of turkey and the taste of turkey on Thanksgiving.  So plan B, learn to cook it better.  The thing about cooking is you need to practice and not everyone in my family was willing to help me eat turkey often enough to get really proficient.  I did run across directions on how to cook a turkey written by an engineer.  For once, I actually understood the directions.  (Explains why cookbooks are difficult for me, I think more geeky than those that write cookbooks.)  At last, we come to plan C.  By this time my children have grown up and married and have children of their own.  Wonderful bonus my son-in-law makes the most wonderful smoked turkey with my daughters (I am including my daughter-in-laws here) becoming wonderful cooks.  Happily they didn't miss out on the cooking gene.  My sister got the cooking gene and I didn't.  Fortunately, my favorite meal is a banana and peanutbutter and jam sandwich.  Or if I am in the mood a banana and peanutbutter sandwich, I use slices of banana in place of the jam.  Now, I am very content with Thanksgiving turkey cooked by someone else. 

Christmas has a boat load of traditions and some of them are like mill stones hung around my neck weighing me down.  Those I am learning to let go or rotate.  I have so many things I like to do that rather than wipe myself out trying to do them, like yesterday's poem, I do them every few years.  One project I enjoy is making gingerbread houses with my own gingerbread and a bunch of candy.  The cost is steep buying all the different kinds of candy.  I do this about every 5 years or so.  I thought about doing it again this year then realized I would just be making myself miserable.  I found easier less expensive options like a candy cane and small chocolate bar sleigh, marshmallow snow men, Oreo turkey's and chocolate bar trains.  Much smaller projects, faster and easier for little grandchildren enjoy doing them. (Parents not too thrilled by the sugar high but that is for another post.)  For those that love Christmas, I am posting links to the recipes online.
Candy Cane Sleigh:  http://crafts.kaboose.com/candy-sleigh.html  I used frosting instead of the glue gun.
Marshmallow snowman:  http://www.cutefoodforkids.com/2010/11/marshmallow-snowman.html On these just by the big marshmallows, frosting, candy and imagination.  Easy and fun.
Oreo Turkeys:  http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2011/11/oreo-turkeys.html  One of MANY variations. 
Candy bar Train: http://www.food.com/recipe/candy-christmas-train-272347  This gives you a great starting point.  I once used thin red licorice for the 'railroad tracks'.

6 comments:

mulderfan said...

Some "traditions" are meant to be changed!

I usually buy a frozen pre-dressed turkey. It goes in the oven frozen and bam! Perfect every time! But, this year at Thanksgiving since the "kids" were going to be having turkey elsewhere we went with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

As for a gingerbread house, I bought a kit on sale at Michael's. Cheap and cheerful!

Do whatever works for YOU and if people don't like it they can either lump it or provide the food!

Hugs! P/M

Ruth said...

Hurrah for changes. I have seen the kits, too. I agree the whole theme is what "works for YOU." Perfect line. (((P/M)))

ellen said...

I like your new method for cooking turkey Ruth. :-)

Ruth said...

Thanks Ellen. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth

I love banana and set honey sandwiches (where I come from we call them ‘butties’ so called because it is two pieces of bread butted together) on whole meal bread. Can’t wait to try the Oreo Turkeys my grandchildren are going to love them. Thanks for the link. :)

Molly

Ruth said...

I didn't know the sandwich had a name. Cool. My grandkids love them. Have fun. :)