Monday, December 26, 2011

What have I done?

Margaret Thatcher
Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do, and you've done it.

This is the time when I review the past year and see what have I done? This year was adjusting to major changes in my life. All my children are now married and more grandkids are arriving. NewCounselor is now over a year old and we are continuing the work that I started with KavinCoach. I am blessed to have two excellent counselors.  My job took an abrupt change from working with photography teacher to now working with early childhood education teachers.  I gave several speeches in Toastmasters. I also started taking Zumba and other dance classes where my daughter teaches.  I slowed way down with my photography blog but I am including more of my pictures with this blog.  I spent quality time with adult kids, grandkids and friends.  I learned to use Facebook and enjoy keeping in touch with people around the world.  Pinterest is tugging for attention but it is fairly new for me and Christmas has kept me busy.  I feel I have grown in confidence and continue on my quest towards truth in living.  My health is a little rough this year, a few set backs in this department.  I will continue working this through my mind for the next few days and then begin my 'goals adjustments.' 

I gave up on resolutions years ago.  I hate the sound of breaking resolutions on January 2nd.  Plus, I have enough experience with severe depression to know that sometimes the goal for the day is to get out of bed.  The bonus is to get dressed.  If I actually showered between these two that meant for a great day.  During this time, an acquaintance that had beat cancer criticized my lack of will power.  She told me it is 'mind over matter.'  Well, after her little lecture I went home and decided that I would put the dishes away before the kids came home from school.  (Take note, I was not washing the dishes, I was just putting them away out of the dishwasher loaded by my kids.)  I didn't even finish emptying the top rack when I slid down the cupboards and laid on the floor until my son got home.  He took one look at me and told me to go back to bed.  I crawled back to bed.  That was the day I learned, "If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."  For years, my goal was to reclaim my life.  Then after going into counseling my goal was to integrate.  Now, I have a life.  I enjoy figuring out what I want to do with it.  I am looking forward to readjusting my goals for this next year. 

Reflecting

7 comments:

ellen said...

People seem to think depression is a moral weakness - if I just do this, that or the other, I'd 'beat' it. Sometimes I just think - feel what i feel for just one minute, then tell me how weak I am.

Great you are doing so much better now Ruth.

mulderfan said...

I have definitely witnessed your growing confidence and increased ability to express your thoughts and feelings openly.

A great counselor is only s good as his patient allows him to be. Your willingness and determination to take back your life are what make the counseling work.

IMO You have realized that you deserve better. You deserve to be happy and joyous!

Love P/M

Anonymous said...

thank you for this post, it's full of valuable correlations to my own life, so i'm drinking it all in. i like your remix of "mind over matter" because it's absolutely true that "if you dont mind, it doesn't matter." i envy those who have never experienced true clinical depression, because they honestly believe that everyone cares about their own life. ugh, the depression illness takes that first. but i'm inspired by you because i believe i'm crawling out of the dark. thank you for your positive messages. :)
Hats

Jonsi said...

I've never been a fan of resolutions either. I understand the idea behind it - a new year, a new start, let's do something we always do, but better than we've done it in the past.

I'm just more a fan of making "resolutions" through out the year. I don't need a new year to be a better person. I just need a new though, idea, motivation, to get me started!

Laurel Hawkes said...

Thanks for helping me accomplish my one aim, today: My author picture.

Evan said...

I think Maggie might have been a bit of a workaholic. Just spending time chatting with friends, eating great food, and lounging around (have recently spent a day doing this being Christmas) can be great.

I love "If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

Ruth said...

Thanks Ellen, Depression can be so many different things. Sometimes listening to your own body and taking care of it is the most important thing to do.

((P/M)) I appreciate you cheering me on. You are right I do deserve better. Thanks.

Hats, I am glad you like the remix. I am cheering you on and you are right depression steals a desire to self care first. Then it is all down hill from there. Glad to hear you are choosing to turn that around.

Jonsi I agree with learning something new, changes what I am doing. I like the New year as a time to re-evaluate to make sure I am meeting my long term goals for my life. Living and learning is my life plan. :)

Laurel I had a blast. I think the resulting picture is how I see you.

Sounds like you are having a lovely vacation Evan. Enjoy.