Monday, December 19, 2011

Twisted Christmas....

Humor is just another defense against the universe.
Mel Brooks

Any one that has ever had teenagers has experienced the learning curve of finding out you are an old 'fuddy duddy.'  Does not matter how old you are, how opened minded you are, or what you may do.  The very fact that you are the parent makes you 'old' and totally without understanding of the latest generation.  Add in Christmas and adjustments are needed.  Any one that has ever been a teenager that means everyone over 12, (if you are under 12 are your parents aware you are reading this?)  Experienced at some point total disgust with someone in the 'older generation.'  Thanks to my teenagers I have been introduced to new ideas and Twisted Christmas by Weird Al.  :)   

The link is to Weird Al's version of "The 12 Pains of Christmas."
http://www.lyricstime.com/weird-al-yankovic-12-pains-of-christmas-lyrics.html
Another version on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOPOjTZtdR8
I think the first time I heard I listened in stunned disbelief.  The second time I started laughing so hard that there was probably an edge of hysteria.  May I recommend doing a search for twisted Christmas Carols and see what you end up with...word of warning...many times lyrics may not be suitable for family gatherings.  

Also, this week Evan sent out his weekly email.  His blog is different and worth visiting.  However, if you want a special gem coming to your email sign up for his newsletter.  http://www.livingauthentically.org/  He had several suggestions for taking the 'fake' out of Christmas but I was especially intrigued by his Anti-Christmas idea.  The idea that really caught my attention was the one about telling your worse Christmas story.  Being raised by narcissistic parents can lead to hair raising tales.  

Before I had teenagers, I could really stress over Christmas.  I still can stress over Christmas but my eyes were opened and now I can see the TWISTED HUMOR that can infect this yearly spending spree with loads of guilt and unreasonable expectations.  Sitting and laughing at some of the craziness is a great defense against things becoming too tense.  I am really thankful my teenagers are now wonderful adults and we still laugh over some of the stories from Christmas.

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer performed by Dr. Elmo 

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuTHxMjVivg

No comments: