Monday, December 12, 2011

Not so different

Mark TwainWhen we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain


Coming from a place that is considered weird (DID), I sometimes forget that I am just like everyone else.  When I get stressed out, I react with depression.  This is not about my past.  It is not about being a multiple.  It is all about the Christmas craziness that sometimes creeps in if I am not vigilant at keeping myself out of the loop.  Thanks Molly for the reminder that stress, like Christmas rush of activities, can set off depression.  I came home from work and slept for 3 hours.  Sleep is a wonder drug for improving perspective.  I also reviewed what I actually have to do this week and which things I can bump into next week so I can take a little pressure off myself.  I was delighted that a couple of load of dishes in the dish washer caught me up to the point that I am not feeling like I am neglecting anything I should be doing.  Cut myself some slack.  Don't add more pressure than is needed at this time of the year.  Delete all emails asking me to do one more thing.  Focus on my kids and their families.  Don't expect to see progress for a few weeks.  Maintain a holding pattern.  For all its ability to provoke situations that increase anxiety, I still love Christmas. 


2 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

That picture is appropriate.

Ruth said...

I thought so. :)