Sunday, July 1, 2012

Music for the soul


Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach



I enjoyed music all of my life.  It played a huge part in my life as something consistent in my life.  I took nine years of piano lessons.  When I finally quit, the piano teacher told me that I could never be a concert pianist because my hands were too small.  I looked at her and told her there was no point in me continuing lessons.  I think the reality was that I didn't have the dedication necessary to become a concert pianist.  I didn't want to spend hours and hours a day practicing.  Now, I still love playing the piano for my own pleasure.  I also love music performed by others.  Every year I make a pilgrimage to the Renaissance Fair to listen to Cast in Bronze.  I have hearing aides and every year I get a little more deaf.  The beauty of Cast in Bronze it becomes a whole body experience I feel the vibrations of the bells while I listen.  Once a year I spend an entire day doing nothing but listening to the Carillon.  It is simply beautiful.

http://www.castinbronze.com/
To see him in action: http://www.youtube.com/user/CarillonBellsMan



1 comment:

Ellen said...

I took many years of piano lessons also Ruth. I loved music. Never was that great though, I think because I relied too much on the written notes...and perfectionism can spoil pleasure in music also. Still do enjoy listening though.

The carillon concert sounds wonderful. Great picture of the masked player!