Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Attitude

Charles R. Swindoll said:

“Attitude is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.  It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company… a church… a home… We cannot change our past… we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you… we are in charge of our attitudes.” 
 Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
William James
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/william_james.html#kQqK1jhgdFkALwdb.99
If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
Maya Angelou
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/attitude.html#w5GHrO4l4mhEcVqL.99
Before integration I had tremendous control over my attitude.  I could flip it like a switch.  I just didn't know that was exactly what I did, switched.  Integration brought on a whole new bunch of challenges and one of them is my attitude.  I feel like there are times when my attitude and my whole perspective of life is just skewed and out of whack.  Other times with a bit of effort, I can bring my unruly emotions under control and alter my attitude.  I know for some people it is hard to fathom not having any emotions to interfere with my attitude.  Dissociation separates my actions from my emotions and without that connection I am able to have any attitude I want.  One of my favorite quotes, (I don't know who to give credit for it) "I got an attitude and I know how to use it."   There are attitudes that need caution signs plastered all over them:
The victim attitude:  Gives me a target on my back that says, 'kick here.'
The dumb attitude:  Playing dumb may get someone to help me in the short term but it sacrifices my integrity to get it. 
Do or Die attitude:  Has me putting in a ton of energy into something that may not be worth it.
I'm right and you're wrong attitude:  Keep my heart and mind open since every person has their story; I can learn from them. 
I can get anything I want attitude:  Taking what I want without thoughts of the consequences can sometimes cost more than planned.  
Yup, there are some dangerous attitudes.  I believe that attitude is something to cultivate and safe guard from my own unruly thoughts and rascally emotions.  My attitude is my responsibility.  I need to take time to consider what is kind, what works in the long run, what builds instead of tears down, these are the things to use to build an attitude for life.  Happy building. 

Constructing attitudes is as important as constructing bridges.



2 comments:

Calibans Sister said...

I am starting to understand the title of your blog now. You are amazing Ruth. Truly madly deeply amazing. I feel so privileged to be getting to know you, your work, your art, your travails. Time now to 'prove i'm not a robot.'

Ruth said...

Thank you.