Saturday, August 11, 2012

People Pleasers Price

"If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes."  -Andrew Carnegie 


I am sometimes amazed when after a post, I encounter just the most amazing things that totally change how I view the issue at hand.  Growing up I survived by people pleasing, parents, siblings, teachers, and pedophile.  I thought constantly about what I could do to be the person they expected.  Tonight, I needed to wait for dinner to cook, and since I am not the most patient person in the world, I spent a bit of time on Facebook.  My sister and sister-in-law posted the most amazing post.  I followed this link: http://joelrunyon.com/two3/an-unexpected-ass-kicking
I met Joel a fellow that writes a blog of impossible things.  He shares his encounter with “Russell Kirsch”Nerd's and geeks knows he is one of the founding fathers of computers and he created the first digital image. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/06/smoothing-square-pixels/  With my obsession with digital pictures I might need to build a shrine to him in the corner of my computer room.  There were two main points that Joel learned:
  • Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
  • Do things that have never been done.
So what does all this have to do with People Pleasers Price?
This is what clicked in my mind after reading this inspiring story.  Being a people pleaser, I fulfill someone else's dream.  I give up my dreams to fulfill their's.  The irony, the person that I try to please often never acknowledges or appreciates my sacrifice.  More often, criticism is heaped on top until what little light is left snuffs out.  I still believe in giving service, to me, that is not the same thing as people pleasing.  The difference is service gives someone else a helping hand, a people pleaser lays down to be their rug.  There is a certain easiness to people pleasing, I allow someone else to do my thinking for me.  I don't need to agonize over what needs to be done next, just follow orders.  In my opinion, people please long enough and a zombie has more life.  Reason I know, I did it.  I am done.  I have dreams.  Woohoo.  I've come along way.  I still remember sitting exhausted in KavinCoaches office feeling bewildered towards the end of a tough session, years ago.  KavinCoach asked me a single question, "What do you want?"  I just stared at him lost in a ravaged mind.  Then my strange answer, "Am I allowed to?"  I learned to stop wanting.  I learned to stop asking.  I learned to stop dreaming.  That is the People Pleasers Price. 

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Sent to my email:

it used to really puzzle me why no matter how much I gave it never made me happy (when allegedly there is more happiness in giving than in receiving) so I couldn't work out what I was doing wrong until I realised two things that you also mentioned in your post: 1) in a narcissistic relationship, one person gives and the other one takes and 2) I wasn't really giving but people pleasing. No wonder it was not making me happy.

Kara said...

Hi Ruth,
I just wanted to add to this that those of us who have grown up in narcissistic families have a hard time understanding this because we have been brought up to believe that people pleasing is actual giving. It took me quite a while to learn to discern the difference. The book "Boundaries" (I think you have mentioned this book too in some of your posts) really helped to re-train myself.

Ruth said...

I agree. I was trained that if I didn't do as I as told then love would be withdrawn and I was labeled bad. Narcissistic lies run deep and take a lot of work to recognize and relearn healthy living.