Monday, August 27, 2012

Being different OK?

Quote of the day: “If there's any message to my work, it is ultimately that it's OK to be different, that it's good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color.”
― Johnny Depp
The message today is being different is OK. I wish that were true for everyone, everywhere but I know it is not. I spent a lot of my life hiding how I think differently. When I found out that I functioned as a multiple, I was cautioned not to share the information. I found out the hard way that there are situations where being different is definitely not OK, not even close. Sometimes I feel really bugged by this. I believe that functioning as a multiple is what made it possible for me to survive extreme circumstances at a young age.  Choosing to integrate was a belief that I was born whole and I wanted to be of one mind again.   I found situations where I was not accepted for being a multiple and I also found situations where I was criticized for integrating.  Being different is not easy.  I try to be accepting of others but I noticed in my own way I sometimes come across as thinking that I know what is best for someone else.  I don't.  I remember that in one of the jobs I worked, upper management wanted me to become a different type of manager for the student workers.  My theory was we knew what needed to be done and I hired people that would do it.  I did not micromanage or have a bunch of rules.  They sent me to a 'life coach' to change me into a different type of manager.  I just looked at the lady and said, "I have trouble managing myself, how can I possibly tell someone else what to do?"  This was not the right answer.  After I was laid off, one of the people I knew let me know that they wanted to get rid of the difficult employees.  I was different so the best thing to do was to get rid of me.  The comment hurt.  It had enough truth in the statement to hit the mark that says "different is bad....never tell anyone that you are different."  I noticed as young as fifth grade that something was different about me.  By high school, I learned the art of hide who you are so that you can be socially acceptable.  I still struggle with hiding behind masks.  Sometimes I just resort to silently listening.  I worked at one place for 3 weeks before I started to talk very much.  The teacher teased me, "So you can talk."  She was kind so I didn't mind the teasing.  I am different.  Even after integrating, I am still different.  I am learning to share my story and I am learning that sometimes different is OK.  I like the world of people that accept differences as part of the magic and wonder of living.  


1 comment:

Judith said...

I've been getting increasingly comfortable in my "different" skin, but it's not always been this way. My mother liked to call me "odd" and "unique" (this latter was NOT a compliment), and it made me want to hide in a corner.