Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I Love Crayons

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.

I always loved crayons. I used coloring as a method of calming my mind before counseling sessions. Coloring also unlocked away for me to first express my emotions when I started counseling. After several months of not getting past the walls built around my emotions KavinCoach gave me a coloring book. Not just any coloring book. He gave me one designed for children that have suffered abuse. There were pages that asked me to assign a color to each emotion, some colors are traditional like green for jealousy or envy. I would close myself in a closet with just my crayons, the coloring book and attempt to unlock the gates to allow myself to reach my own emotions.  Page followed page nothing happened.  Then I got to the page that asked to draw what it would look like if I told anyone why I was sad.  An  eruption of rage had me using every color in the box to destroy that page and turn it black.  At the next session I handed the book back to KavinCoach.  He flipped through the pages until he found the black one.  He recognized the wall cracking.  His persistence brought down the barriers around my emotions that closed me off from feeling all that I felt.  Dammed up for years a lake of rage was waiting to be slowly released.  Going to quickly resulted in melt downs and extra sessions.  I learned it is better to feel emotions at the time I have them rather than storing them up behind a wall of depression.  I learned a lot from a coloring book.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I FEEL this picture.

Judith said...

I love crayons.