Sunday, September 16, 2012

Adrenaline Junkie?

"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow."
- Ronald E. Osborn


Click Here For Success Tip # 043


A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. Albert Einstein. 


One of the tough feelings combined with depression is feeling overwhelmed.  Routines, same-o same-o, what ever I had to do to keep one foot in front of another.  Something new and challenging was simply out of the question.  Lately, I noticed that I am spending hours playing a dumb video game.  What I noticed that I pit my skills against a computer.  My heart starts pounding I am sometimes sweating try to score higher points.  But the bottom line is I don't care.  Say what.  What am I after.  Over at Roots to Blossom I responded to this post:
http://roots2blossom.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/could-my-life-be-too-boring-for-me/
 What I wrote blew me away:

weareonebyruth says:
I kept getting A’s because I expected to get more from the class than the teacher required. I learned that by getting ‘work down’ I could go play with photography. Then I made the mistake of trying to make my photography my work. Now I won’t touch my camera for days at a time. It is like I need something to play with. Something of my choosing that pushes me to the bleeding edge of what I know. When I was a computer tech, I didn’t need help until I needed to talk to an engineer but there was plenty of mundane stuff to do. Get the mundane out of the way so I could work on the really hard stuff that when I call tech support they tend to say, “Our program can do that?” Now I am in a job without this edgy challenge. I found a way to make it complicated for me. I grew up being told I was stupid. They never bothered with testing my IQ but I like challenges. I wonder if it is trying to figure out what to do with all my survival skills. I never considered the thought that I miss pitting my wits against my abuser. O dear, that is a scary thought. I am tempted to delete that last bit but maybe it will help someone. I may do a post on this. Thank you for a very thought provoking post.

The heart pounding fear that I used to experience from nightmares is gone.  I haven't felt that way in a long time.  I hadn't considered the possibility that I actually miss the serge of adrenaline needed to survive extreme conditions.  I hadn't considered the issue of becoming healthier I am bored and don't want to do mundane things like put things away, do the dishes, go to work....

I read about this type of thing in one of my many books on surviving abuse, the adrenaline rush addiction.   I thought, "I am not a big risk taker, this isn't a problem for me."  Then I reminded myself how many times I push back the time I should leave for work so I have to really focus on driving through rush hour to get there on time.  I had no idea.  I learned that 90% of solving a problem is defining it.  This time I need to decide what type of problem is it and do I just need to redirect this newly recognized need for an adrenaline rush?  Nope, bungee jumping and sky diving are not going on the list of things to do.  However, I just rented hotel room to spend a couple of days next month on an extended photoshoot, just for fun.

On the edge



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post Ruth; just picking up on one point you made of your parents calling you stupid.
I’m sure we have all heard of the fight or flight response to the adrenaline rush. There is a third response ‘freeze’. Because the release of adrenalin draws blood into the muscles for fighting or running it reduces the flow of blood to the brain which in turn can shut down our thinking process, hence the stage fright situation. I am afraid I opted for the big freeze on many occasion; very unpleasant it was too. It’s just a way of surviving.
Could too much adrenalin hamper creativity? I think it does.
Your planned photo shoot sounds the perfect answer. Enjoy!

Love,
Molly

Ruth said...

Simpler than that for me. I was switching by the time I was 5 years old. When someone would tell me something if I then switched the next personality did not know what was said 5 minutes before. Switching was my coping mechanism of choice since fight or flight were not an option. I think it was like internal flight and nobody knew I left. Adrenalin is weird stuff if you ever want to do the research. I never thought of myself as someone that might be looking for thrills since I always thought I was a play it safe type person.

Unknown said...

Such a thought-provoking post, Ruth! Comments, too - the 'switching between personalities' is something I found particularly intriguing. I started to wonder if many 'mental health issues' or 'disorders' aren't really just straight-up coping mechanisms that nearly everyone has embedded in their 'coding'. Overwhelm the system, and the coping mechanism takes over to allow the person to survive. I once heard that psychosis occurs (simplistically) because the alternative reality is preferable to actual reality - almost a choice your brain makes unconsciously....

Anyway, it certainly engenders a more gentle and supportive view of mental health problems to see that the 'disorder' is actually a safety device that's kicked in to save a life. You could even argue that it's an advantage - survival of the fittest and all that. No coping mechanism, no survival.

I wish our world was a more gentle and loving place. So many people just 'coping' their way through life (myself included) - I wish I could change the whole world.

Ruth said...

Yes it was a coping mechanism that was more of a hindrance then a help later in life. Like wearing a suit of armor makes it hard to wash the dishes. Counseling taught me different coping skills and integration was a decision on my part. It is difficult but I don't regret the choice. I now have more choices of how to cope with a given situation. I can't change the world but I can choose healthier ways to respond to it. I learned years ago from a talk by Dr. Banks the insanity is a form of adjustment.