Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Keep moving

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
- John Wooden
 


Tonight I attended the third and final class on talking with teenagers. Wow just WOW.  There were a panel of 5 teenagers that came in to share their views as to why teenagers struggle with communicating with adults.  We had 3 weeks of talking on the subject.  They came in ranging from a freshmen to a senior; their prep was one letter giving them where to come and talk to almost 40 adults.  They were open.  Straight forward.  If you had ears to hear, they had plenty to say.  I came away with the feeling that I did better than I thought I had with my teenagers.  But the biggest tip all evening that they don't share what they are worried about unless you show some real tangible ways of caring about them.  The kids don't ask me things at school because they don't realize they can.  I need to put more of myself out there.  I may be rejected but how do they know I am interested in helping them unless I tell them?  There is some other cool stuff I got out of the class that I want to think over a bit more before I post.  I am super excited about new perspectives on old problems. 




No comments: