Thursday, February 7, 2013

Curiosity Killed the Cat....

Satisfaction brought it back.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. ~ Einstein
http://ownquotes.com/blog/top-albert-einstein-quotes-famous-albert-einstein-quotations/

I am starting to enjoy this adventure of my own love story.  I am also discovering something quite different than I expected.  I hadn't realized how often my strengths were criticized.  I am insatiably curious.  If there is a closed door, I want to open it.  If there something half hidden, I will find out what it is.  I test things to find out what happens.  My pictures are often 10 shots from all different angles or waiting months to see if the roses will dry how I want them to look in a picture.  If I want to know how something works, I try it.  True some of my experiments have been less than safe and my guardian angel is going to have some very strong words with me.  None the less, I am always curious.  Recently I accidentally poured too much oil into a batch of salt dough.  Instead of pitching it right away, I finished making it.  It turned out to be smoother and more pliable play dough, I will note this on the recipe and possibly do it again.  In photography, non-silver photography process called multiple gum prints.  This is layer upon layer of color built up using gum bichromate. http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/gum-bichromates/a-non-silver-manual-gum-bichromate
This process involved using goggles and face masks.  I took two semesters and instead of the water colors I used powdered pigment.  I discovered that working with powdered pigments in this process mixing blue and red created a olive green.  Totally different results than I expected.  I have a huge notebook of information on these processes.  After two semesters I decided I was done and moved on to something else to explore.  Working in the computer labs I ran experiments as to why certain things didn't work in the lab.  That was how I found out that companies that build monitors define 100% blue as royal blue and the printer companies 100% blue is navy blue.  No small wonder that the printers drove the students crazy.  What you looked at was not what you got.  I remember in biology enjoying dissecting the worms and frog.  I was criticized, teased, called names (Nerd) because I was curious and wanted to figure things out.  I recognize now that curiosity is a strength for me.  I am curious and enjoy exploring the world around me. 

Multiple gum prints




Before
After
Good night

No comments: