Saturday, February 1, 2014

Strong Beliefs

Are started following Seth recently on his blog.  This post title caught my attention and I started reading it with a great deal of doubt.  The way he develops the idea took me from doubting to agreeing....

http://sethadamsmith.com/2014/01/30/damning-belief/

THIS is The Most Damning Belief of All Time

I doubted such an extreme reaction then I read to the end of the article. I mulled it over and thought about it. Twisting it back and forth in my mind I examined my experience with this insidious destroyer and its variations:

I am a victim.
I can't.
I'm trapped.
I have to.
I must.
They make me.

All these words keep a person bound as surely as ropes and chains.  Early years of counseling were spent working at throwing off these invisible chains.  Viktor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning placed a wedge in my thinking that opened the way to changing myself and my life.

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.”
Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning  

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning 

 I took the challenge to change myself.  What an amazing adventure to crawl out of the depths of my own private hell to stretch in the sunshine and thrive. 


  

No comments: