Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Same message

I am fascinated when I get the same message from multiple sources.  This week both Froglogic and Impossible talked about competition to keep yourself moving.  Froglogic talked about friendly competition between yourself and team member or swim buddy.  {Froglogic is Navy Seal training http://www.teamfroglogic.com/navy-seal-blog/navy-seal-training-embrace-your-fears-mission-4-test-yourself-froglogic-motivation/}  Impossible writer Joel Runyon did a marathon in the Swiss Alpinehttp://impossiblehq.com/hit-list-method The highest marathon in Europe.  He talked about getting himself to the end by giving it all he had and making a game out of passing people at the end of a 26 mile run.  I'm not a Navy seal and I have zero intention of ever running a marathon.  But I do have 3 days to get a class room organized for students next Monday.  The whole room was packed up and shuffled around this summer but no where close for being ready on Monday.  Froglogic says embrace the Suck.  Life just sucks sometimes.  But instead of buckling under the pressure or dropping into Fight, Flight, or Freeze mode I'm learning to play to my strengths.  I plan to use my strength of hyper-focus to shuffle around the big stuff and get it ready to go.  Compete against myself.  Set a timer for short bits of time to move main portion of items to make get the room in order.  Start with what I know and keep going until I don't know what to do.  I know two areas that I can setup.  Focus and work like crazy.  But remember to give myself water breaks, lunch, and rest.  Take what I've learned about tackling problems like this and make a game out of getting sections finished....can I do it in X amount of time?  The main thing to remember is "I am the assistant.  It is not my responsibility to get things exactly perfect."  I am hearing a lot about being exceptional and excelling I learned from FlyLady that good enough on routine stuff is good enough.  Getting too hung up on detail slows me down.  I believe this is what thriving is all about.....take a look at a problem, use my strengths in combination with what I learned to find a solution, and move forward toward the solution.  Victim thinking paralyzes me.  I curl up in a ball depressed and defeated.  I keep thinking about the game of cards KavinCoach played with me where he got to look at his cards and I didn't.  When I was a victim, I didn't believe I had any strengths.  I saw myself as a worm, spineless and useless.  This was the image my abusers wanted me to believe.  Getting a backbone, setting boundaries, learning my strengths, believing in myself, all these and more are hallmarks of thriving.  Drawing on what I know about how to put things together will get me through the next few days.  Now, if I can just figure out how to do this with my own sewing room. 
Thriving is acting instead of reacting. I've got a mountain to climb.

No comments: