Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Warm Fuzzies


Years ago I was reading a self-help book, maybe from Sidetrack Home Executive: From Pigpen to Paradise,  I came across a suggestion to make a warm, fuzzy box.  My warm, fuzzy box I actually decorated with fur.  In my warm, fuzzy box I would right quick notes about something that happened that left me feeling warm and fuzzy.  Then on those days that I couldn't remember why I should bother getting out of bed, I could read the comments in the warm, fuzzy box to remind me that good things have happened in the past, in hopes of boosting my belief that good things will happen in the future.  One of the hardest things I face when depression is lapping at my knees is the belief that things will get better.

A long this same idea I would work each day to have one good thing to say about the day.  Some days the only thing I could come up with - it didn't get worse.  A flower blossoming in the sunshine, glistening snow, actually finishing the dishes, a hug from a child, all became bits and pieces to add to my one good thing list.

Changing my attitude to one of gratitude continues to make a wonderful difference in my life.  There would be no silver linings without the clouds.

3 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

And there would be no rainbows without rain. :-)

Judy said...

Hi Ruth,

Yes, if we would just take a minute to reflect on what we could thank God for, our lives would be much brighter. I too have to remember this. Thank Him for the small things each day, each moment if you have to and he will lift you up. :-)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

Blessings,
Judy

Ruth said...

Amen!