Sunday, November 14, 2010

Promised Tribulation


John 16:33
33. These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

My understanding of this verse is that John is quoting Christ.  He shares this promise that in this world I will have tribulation. He told me this that I may have peace.  How can I have peace when I am told that I will have tribulation (trial: an annoying or frustrating or catastrophic event)*?  I pondered this concept.  How would knowing that all people will have tribulation bring peace?  One of the interesting emotions that I felt as my memories returned was the feeling of being alone, isolated, left out of God's grace because of the trials I had as a child.  If you are totally messed up before you even begin adult life how can this bring peace?  "In the world ye shall have tribulation:" implies that I was not singled out.  I am not alone in my tribulation.  Every person on this planet is going to have trials.  I am not isolated.  I am not left out of God's grace.  John reassures us that Christ said, "Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."  In an early post With God all things are possible, I wrote about my faith in Christ making it possible to do all things.  Combining the 2 concepts, I will have trials but I can be of good cheer and feel peace since I know that Christ has overcome all things.  Through my faith I can put my trust in Christ that I can overcome all things with Him.  Promises of peace, encouragement of good cheer for Christ is my redeemer.  I do not yet feel His peace all the time, but I am starting to feel His peace some of the time.  A moment here or perhaps at another time I am feeling peace in my heart and gratitude for my Savior, Jesus Christ.  In time, I hope to have His peace with me always.        





No comments: