Saturday, August 20, 2011

Continued from yesterday

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-legacy-distorted-love/201108/narcissism-and-entitlement-do-i-have-stand-in-line


Interesting to find this article posted on Facebook on the same general subject as yesterday's post.  The line that really caught my attention:

"It's surprising how many persons go through life without ever recognizing that their feelings toward other people are largely determined by their feelings toward themselves, and if you're not comfortable within yourself you can't be comfortable with others." Sydney J. Harris

I continue to be amazed at how I find other pieces of information when I am working on a topic.  Kind of like every time I get a new car, everyone on the road seems to have the same car.   This one has been a long time thought through.  One of the struggles I had when I was a multiple was the animosity and contention within myself.  One of my personalities wanted to destroy another one despite the fact that sharing one body it would also be self destruction.  I joke that I used to be run by a committee that hated each other.  Now I am applying the same principles I learned before I integrated to how to interact with people now. 

4 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

It's confusing when one is able to interact with a whole range of people, and wholly incapable with a few others, but one is repeatedly judged on the few. Hope that makes sense.

Ruth said...

Yes, it makes total sense. I can interact with many people at work just fine but the closer relationships are a much greater challenge. Also many times when you are being judged, they don't look too closely at how the other person is behaving. How many times does one person get blamed for "reacting badly" when all they are doing is trying to find a healthy way to respond to a toxic person? I'm always amazed how toxic people can get away with murder, sometimes literally.

mulderfan said...

About the car thing. I think we "suddenly" start noticing the cars because we have one just like it!

Maybe new awareness is a similar thing that happens.

Ruth said...

P/M that is probably true.