Friday, August 12, 2011

Memories...faded and lost

One of the things that helped KavinCoach realize I was a bigger mess than I was letting on at first was my lack of memories.  I had gaps in my memories large enough to drive a MAC truck through.  When I started counseling, I desperately wanted to remember.  I discovered several aides in memory retrieval. One help was talking to someone from my past.  In my case, my sister and I started poking around in our shared childhood.  We remembered different things.  I was able to tell her why she saved a particular stuffed animal and she validated some of the weird stuff I was tempted to dismiss as just too weird to be true.  Another helper for me was photography.  Before I started counseling, I was given a photography assignment to do a self-portrait using a series of at least 10 pictures.  Only one could be an actual picture of myself.  As I worked to define myself bits and pieces of memories slipped past my internal barriers.  There is something about art that allows me to let down my emotional guard and let the memories flow through.  Another thing was to allow myself to write in the middle of the night when I woke up from a nightmare.  Life triggered nightmares...nightmares triggered memories.  I learned from KavinCoach that I had to be careful of 'false memories.'  The brain does not distinguish between watching a movie and my own life.  Stranger still is the way the brain will put a 'nicer face' on a traumatic experience.  For example, instead of remembering the face of my abuser, instead I remembered the face of a kinder person, taking some of the distress away from me but if I had said anything, causes problems, since accusing someone of something they didn't do really damages a relationship.  There are many different ways of retrieving memories, hypnosis, therapy, free writing (writing whatever comes to mind without editing), brainstorming and then going back and talking into the tape recorder about the event written down, talking with a safe person, meditation, exercise without ear buds blasting music, any number of ways to get inside your own head.  Word of caution for those that may have less than stellar past.  If you suspect you may be repressing traumatic memories, don't do this alone.  Heavy duty memory retrieval, AKA flashbacks, can be hazardous to your emotional/mental health.  When I started remembering, I had NO idea what I was getting into.  My mind repressed much of my childhood completely.  I did learn several valuable lessons.  If I lived through it, I can remember it.  Don't push my mind faster than my coping skills can work with, little chunks can move a mountain.  Don't be surprised if it doesn't bring the relief you think it will.  Memories are from the past.  May help with understanding why you do what you do but memories are cast in stone.  You can't change your past.  After a few years of remembering horrific images, I decided God's blessing to me is fuzzy on the details.  I like fuzzy.   

8 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

Cool pic. Thanks for having the courage to share.

mulderfan said...

That was very a enlightening post for me. As an adult I realized a life long, recurring nightmare was connected to some sort of assault but I could never see the face of the person I suspected. When the suspect was killed in an accident, the nightmares stopped...forever!

The working of the mind are mysterious and truly amazing in the ways we are, in effect, "protected".

Have a great weekend, Ruth!

Hugs, P/M

Jonsi said...

This is a great post, Ruth. It speaks to DH's recent desire to remember aspects of his past that remain buried.

He may or may not uncover the memories he is looking for, but it's nice to know we have the support of a person like you.

Thank you.

Ruth said...

Thanks Laurel, it is one of my favorites.

Mulderfan, I appreciate your contribution from another perspective. So far the weekend is great. Cloud cover from an unrelenting sun can be lovely. :)

Hi Jonsi,
I wrote this for LSV so I was not cluttering up his comments box. A lot of what I learned from my memories was different than I expected. I am not sorry I learned what I did because my responses now make so much more sense. The memories also helped me understand why I had difficulty with making certain changes. I changed my direction and treated the issue from my past then the changes occurred naturally in my present. You notice I did not say this was easy. Good luck.

Jonsi said...

Hi Ruth,

No, I don't expect that something like this would be easy. I go back and forth between thinking that uncovering certain memories will be helpful, and uncovering certain memories will be simply hurtful. I suppose something good can come from the "hurt" though - a learning experience, for one.

It's not easy to see a loved one experience that level of pain. I'm hoping it gives DH some peace on his journey of self-discovery. Thanks again.

Jonsi

Ruth said...

Your welcome. I hope LSV finds the peace and healing he is seeking. :)

Anonymous said...

I very much appreciate you posting this. It's no secret that memories for me are few and far between. I'm not sure if they're stored away somewhere or if I've lost them completely. For right now, I want the nitty gritty of the memories; I believe that will help me in understanding myself. I'm glad for the support I have from my wife and from the community here, I can't say that enough either.

Thanks again,
LSV

Ruth said...

LSV, You will be doing the hardest work yourself. I agree that getting some framework of your past can be helpful.
Good luck,
Ruth