Saturday, August 27, 2011

My faith

Albert EinsteinScience without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

Albert Einstein

Many times I noticed that my faith in God has been questioned.  Fighting depression many times I have heard, "IF you had enough faith then X, Y, Z would happen."  I learned through hard lessons to protect my belief and mostly not share it.  Some might say that being a 'people pleaser' causes me to reflect back to others what they want to hear.  It is way different than that.  The pedophile was a "religious" man that used scriptures as a way to manipulate and harm myself and others.  He used religion to cloak and perpetuate evil.  At home, religion came after housework and homework.  How dare I NOT do homework on the Sabbath because I believed it was my work and should be done on the other 6 days of the week.  I was grounded.  I had religion used in ways that were so wrong on every level.  Where did my faith in God and Christ come from that caused me to walk away from my friends my senior year?  My friends decided that I needed to be "saved" from my religion.  At first, I went to church with them and listened to what they had to say.  I quickly learned that they would NOT listen to what I had to say or come to church with me.  Age 17, I walked away from my friends that badgered me daily because I wouldn't change to their way of thinking.  (Not the behavior of a 'people pleaser.')  KavinCoach shared my religious affiliation and we had many discussions on my faith.  He knew that faith in a higher power often plays a vital role in healing.  He was impressed at my solid conviction that God was my spiritual Father and that Jesus Christ is his literal son and Savior of the world and my belief that they love me.  I wake up in the morning and I check in with prayer.  Driving on the free way I have discussed many topics with Him.  He is part of my life like breathing air.  I know that not everyone believes the same way as I do.  Every person comes to their own conclusions on a higher power and their role in religion by their personal experiences.  I also know that other people have had really bad experiences with religion.  I know how hurtful it is when one opinion is blasted as the only 'true' way.  My faith in Heavenly Father and Christ are unshakable.  I also know that badgering someone else about what they believe has a huge negative impact.  I believe in the scripture, "Love thy neighbor as thyself."  Therefore, I don't like being told I am wrong about my religion, so I don't feel I should tell someone else they are wrong about their religion or lack of religion.  I have a scripture in the side bar because it makes me happy to share.  But I have no desire to hurt, belittle, or put down another person because they believe differently than I do.  I appreciate truth, kindness, and peace where ever I find it.    

He offers to hug me. 

9 comments:

Jonsi said...

There is such a difference between your God and my husband's EF's, even though I'm sure he would claim they were one in the same.

I like yours better. It's funny to me, that you have read the things that EFIL has said to us or to my husband and you disagree with it, even though you both consider yourselves to be believers in God and followers of Christ. (I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, I understand that Christ is often synonymous with God, I'm not sure about your beliefs on that).

Anyway, its so reassuring to see that there ARE people who believe but who don't shove it down others' throats and use it to manipulate.

((Ruth))

Jonsi

Jonsi said...

Oops, I missed it...I see that you explained your beliefs on God and his son, Jesus Christ.

Not sure how I missed that!

mulderfan said...

I admire and envy people with strong faith regardless of the affiliation.

Sometimes, I think I shouldn't have let the behaviour of my abusive father sour me on religion but can't imagine intruding on someone else's beliefs.

The main thing we should all do is live by the principles of kindness and compassion for others thereby making the world a better place!

Love P/M

Ruth said...

Jonsi, I appreciate your comments. Unfortunately, I have witnessed for myself how people can use belief in God as a whip which seems so contradictory to the God of Love and teachings of Christ "Love one another as I have loved you."

mulderfan said...

Ruth, your faith in ME is humbling and brought tears to my eyes.

Ruth said...

Found a quote on my Encouraging words widget:
You can't give a hug without getting one in return.
You have hugged me so often and encouraged me. I enjoy sharing how this helps me. Thanks.

CZBZ said...

What a beautiful heart-felt post, Ruth. Our faith can liberate us from the depths of despair and misery.

"Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." (2 Corinthians 3:17)

Thank you so much for sharing your beliefs and your strengths.

p.s. I love the image you posted. The Christus is my favorite portrayal of Jesus Christ.


Hugs,
CZ

Ruth said...

Thanks CZ. I love the scripture. If it is all right with you I will added it to the side bar. Thanks, Ruth

CZBZ said...

You don't need my permission since I didn't write the book, hehehe. I am pleased you found comfort in that scripture. Me, too.

Hugs,
CZ