Friday, August 19, 2011

Looking for a long range goal

Johann Wolfgang von GoetheAs soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

My first long range goal that I recognized as accomplished was getting my Bachelors Degree in Fine Art Photography.  I was over 50 years old at the time.  I can't tell you the thrill I felt when I was told I could move the tassel on my cap to the other side signifying I was officially graduated.  When I read Dave Pelzer's story, I used one of his quotes as a long term goal.  He was asked if he wished he didn't have an abusive childhood.  He replied, "I like the man who I am today and I would not be that man without those experiences."  I am starting to feel that way.  Now, I have a new goal to trust myself.  Being raised in an environment where truth was a theory rarely practiced, gaslighting was normal operating procedure, and being told, "No you don't feel like that" I am way down my list of people to trust.  However, the truly disturbing thought, how can I trust anyone else until I can trust myself?  In the Bible it says, "Love thy neighbor as thyself."  A thought KavinCoach taught me is that I can love my neighbor only as much as I love myself.  If I extend this concept, I can only trust others as much as I trust myself.  No wonder I struggle so much with trust issues.  Long range goals are achievable.  They just take a while.  Sometimes like my schooling over 30 years.  I hope this trust thing is less than 30 years.   I learned in my struggle to finish my degree that I can achieve what I set out to do.  It just takes a while.  

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

When I dislocated my knee cap (ouch), after I tripped over my own dog (don't laugh), I literally learned the idea of just putting one foot in front of the other.

Next, when my NF died I learned that the same theory could be applied when dealing with a devastating loss. Each day, I got up and figuratively put one foot in front of the other.

AA says stay sober "One day at a time" but once again I applied my favourite theory.

Now that it looks like I am NC, whether I like it or not, I've once more decided to put one foot in front of the other while I adjust to my new drama-free reality.

One step at a time, Ruth, even if it's a baby step! I am confident you will reach your goal.

Ruth said...

Thanks. I appreciate your vote of confidence.

Laurel Hawkes said...

You are doing great.