Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Raging rivers

NewCounselor suggested that I view this time of rapid change like riding the rapids of a river down the ravine.  At first, it seemed like a comforting thought.  Then I remembered how my husband went on a rafting trip and during one of the large rapids he fell over board.  He is strong and felt confident he could swim back to the boat.  Then he hit the water.  He tumbled in the frothing water and suddenly realized that there was too much air to swim in the water.  He could see the light up above and his lungs were screaming to breath but he knew there was too much water to breath.  It was the last time he went white water rafting.  He decided risking your life is not fun.  He discovered the world I have lived in much of my life.  A world of terror, twisting and tumbling and still attempting to function.  Today, the email from my counselor helped to calm my thinking.  Work provided a distraction of hard work requiring me to focus and forget my concerns.  Survival by diverting my thinking until I can process what I am feeling.  Decide what I need to do next.  Create a plan of action.  Then ultimately figure out how to stay in the darn boat.  Thanks to those that sent encouraging words.

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

Sending you a virtual life jacket and much love, Ruth

Hugs! P/M

Ruth said...

Thanks P/M, I consider you one of my life lines. :) Thanks

Jonsi said...

Wow Ruth. What powerful imagery to describe the abuses you suffered in childhood (and part of your adult life.) Thanks for sharing this with us.

((Ruth))