Sunday, November 6, 2011

Backbone revisited

Thank you for the kind comments on Wishbone Backbone FunnyBone.  Saturday morning my sister started our walk off with a lecture on the fact that I do to have a backbone and pointed out the different ways I have shown it.  So, why do I have this self perception of having no backbone?  I have puzzled over this all weekend.  Before integrating and early in my counseling, I didn't have nice names for all of my parts to myself.  (Sometimes referred to as alters.)  One part was called "Worm" before I changed the names.  I knew that sometimes I grovel and behave like a spineless worm or jellyfish or any other invertebrate that you can think of.  I really despise myself when I behave this way.  I had one part of me that behaved this way and so when I integrated that part came too.  (I decided no part left behind that meant the good, the bad and the ugly were included.)  I thought that after integration this part would magically disappear.  It didn't.  I thought about this most of the weekend.  If this behavior didn't end with integration, then 'groveling' was not part of being a multiple.  I am starting to recognize this as a PTSD reaction.  A trigger* occurs and this reaction is set off. Since I don't seem to be able to stop the reaction, my next task is to identify the trigger.  This is one of the complex things about PTSD.  I am noticing that I rarely am able to stop a PTSD reaction.  I may slow it down a little but once the Dominoes fall I feel like a helpless spectator as my mind falls apart.  KavinCoach started teaching me to recognize and diffuse the triggers.  He would purposely set off some of my triggers in his office and then teach me how to recognize, slow down and analyze my reaction.  I know partly why this reaction exists but knowing why, doesn't solve how to stop it.  Unfortunately, the only way for me to analyze the reaction is for the trigger to happen again.  Here's the kicker.  I don't know the trigger.  It has happened with more than one person.  It has occurred in more than one part of my life.  I some how have an internal radar that most of the time I can avoid it.  NewCounselor watched me fall apart last week in his office over this.  I don't remember much of the end of my last session.  'Flooding'** occurred and took two days to recover.  Part of solving a problem is defining the problem.  Hard to do when you don't know what it looks like, I only have my reaction after it is too late to stop it.  Crumbs.  This is going to be tough one.   


*trigger - any event, action, words, feelings, smells or pictures that set off a PTSD reaction. 
**flooding - a massive overload of emotion sufficient to almost have me pass out.  I slept for hours and hours.  Went to work came home and slept some more.  Found an article that addresses this reaction:
http://portlandrelationshipinstitute.com/Artcl__Emotional_Floodin.html

One HOT problem

6 comments:

mulderfan said...

The article on "flooding" was a real eye opener. As an alcoholic, I have worked hard to recognize my triggers, #1 being my NPs, but was unaware my reaction involved some symptoms of flooding.

Because I planned ahead, when the inevitable rages/attacks occurred I was able to control my reaction but I do remember driving home on auto-pilot and being completely exhausted when I reacted "safety".

At 5-7 months of sobriety many alcoholics suffer from a form of PTSD which often, sadly, leads to relapse. I was prepared for this phase by my counselor and made it through. In hindsight, knowledge of flooding would also have been helpful.

This post was a WOW for me, Ruth! Thanks!

Love P/M

Ruth said...

I'm glad that it helped. (((P/M))) One of the things I learned is that alcohol is used to forget and deaden emotions. PTSD maybe all wrapped up in what you are feeling because having raging parents is like being raised in a war zone. Just a different way to look at things.
Love,
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth

What a wonderful blog and article so informative. When I read this it was like finding the last piece in a jigsaw puzzle. I now get the full picture and understand. Because I’ve never had any counseling for my PTSD (I always turned to anti-anxiety drugs though I am not on them anymore)I didn’t understand what flooding meant even though I’ve suffered it many times (I just thought I was different). So I do know how stressful it can be. Triggers are tricky little buggers they are all over the damn place.
I do empathise with you Ruth, I really do. Always remember none of it was your fault and you are stronger than you realise,

A quote from my Little Buddha Instruction Book “No matter how difficult the past, you can always begin again today.”

Love Molly

Ruth said...

Thanks Molly. I think I may devote an entire post to that awesome quote. :)

marie therese 1 said...

I am shocked. Really! I keep reading through your posts and finding all these things that I constantly experience and thought was peculiar to only me. In sleeping for hours after triggers to deal with the overwhelming attacks I thought I was...I don't know...Why isn't this known? I have suffered so much in absolute terror because I didn't know what it really was. This needs to be 'put out' there so people aren't so afraid and persecuted so badly.
I am so overwhelmed and grateful at the same time. God bless you. Your suffering has helped this 'leper'. My tears are thankful ones.

Ruth said...

Part of the reason I started my blog was to get information out. I am thankful that I can help by sharing what is happening with me. Thanks for your feed back.
Take care,
Ruth