Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving Invitation

I would like to invite my fiends and readers to an ONLINE Thanksgiving feast.  On Thursday, November 24th, please, place in the comments a favorite recipe, thought or something you are grateful for.  If you have a picture send it to weareonebyruth(at)gmail(dot)com  I wrote my email address without symbols so spammers don't flood me with "opportunities".  :)  Through out the day, I will add what ever I am sent.  If you don't send anything, I will assume that you are having a wonderful time where ever you are.  If you do send something, I will feel twiced blessed that you took a moment to share your thoughts.  Using anonymous is perfectly ok with me.  (SPAMMERS this is not an opportunity for you to sell something.  Just letting you know.)

Thanksgiving is and continues to be a mixed day for me.  My FOO has been offended with me more than once for choosing to first limit and then choose to stay away on Thanksgiving day.  Early in my marriage, we moved far away from my family and had no money to spare for the trip to visit or even a phone call.  I loved the peacefulness of the Thanksgiving feast with my DH, children, and turkey.  Yup, it was the only time of the year I cooked turkey.  The turkey and I have a long history of total frustration on my part and over done or under done on the turkey's part.  The fiascoes and frustrations I have felt over this one crazy meal could fill many posts. I am blessed with a talented son-in-law that will smoke the turkey this year.  I am blessed with a wonderful son and daughter-in-law that will host the party.  I am blessed with children that are awesome cooks and delightful company.  I will miss those that live far away.  I will stay far away from my FOO.  My sister I will miss but she has an opportunity to spend the day with a dear friend of hers.  So I am happy for her.  



FOO - Family of origin aka. parents, brothers and sister.
DH - darling husband


So glad I am not a turkey. 

6 comments:

PWC said...

What a nice idea! I've got a recipe lined up.

Ruth said...

Cool. I look forward to getting your recipe on Thursday. :)

Anonymous said...

yay i love being invited to parties! online ones too! ;)

Ruth said...

I'll look forward to hearing from you Thursday. :)

Jonsi said...

I'm leaving this a little bit early, just in case I don't have time tomorrow!

This is my favorite pumpkin pie recipe. It's very spicy (pumpkin spice spicy, not "hot" spicy). Some people hate it, others love it, but it's the only kind of pumpkin pie I'll really eat!

Carnation Pumpkin Pie:
(Makes 1 9-inch single crust pie)

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (one can)
1 2/3 cups undiluted evaporated milk (one can)
pie crust

Blend sugar, spices, and salt together. Add eggs, pumpkin, and evaporated milk. Mix well. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake in hot oven (425 deg) for 15 minutes; reduce to moderate heat (350 deg) and continue baking about 40 minutes or until knife inserted in pie mixture comes out clean. Cool.

Enjoy!

Ruth said...

Cool I'll add it tomorrow.
Have a wonderful day.