Saturday, November 12, 2011

Critique vs Criticism

Over 10 years ago, I was hired by the local university Art department computer labs, photography and animation.  I told them I had no art experience and thought it wouldn't interfere with fixing computers.  We were both wrong.  Not knowing any art kept me from helping effectively.  So they sent me off to my first art class since junior high, Photography 101.  The thing that terrified me most were the CRITIQUES.  I heard horrible stories about this dreaded moment when your piece of work was put before the class.  At first, I tried to hide my stuff at the end of the board and hope no one would notice it there.  No such luck.  Finally I took a picture of bees with a telephoto lens and you could see the fuzz on the bees body.  First time to get really positive feed back.  Through the years of art classes I learned that there is a HUGE difference between a Critique and Criticism.  In fact, one teacher required that only positive comments were made.  One of the professors clarified a critique.... Carrying on an informed discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of a project.  Positive comments give the basis for the student to work from.  Comments such as "I like it" were considered useless and save your breath.  If you like it, say why you like it in a clear and positive way.  Eventually I learned to love the Critique process which became beautiful discussions on amazing art work.  I was laid off a few years back and I still miss doing a critique with the students.

Criticism is way different than a critique.  Criticism often is based not in knowledge but in emotional prejudices.  The words of criticism rain down like acid rain on the soul.  Ripping into self-esteem and usually laced with a heavy dose of disrespect.  Used often enough and with cruel intent it is the basis of emotional abuse.  Poured out on a child the results can have lasting effect that take years to repair.    Often criticism starts as a little trickle that builds until it becomes a raging torrent of words.  Easy to stop at a trickle much harder to stop when venom is pouring forth.

http://weheartit.com/cyntiaradevianinda?page=4
Scroll down to see the powerful effect words can have on a child.

or try googling "power of our voice child"

The image has quite an impact.

3 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

Cool pics. Thanks for sharing the link. And thanks for the difference between Critique and Criticism.

Anonymous said...

Two more brilliant posts Ruth and the link was very powerful, thank you!

I have never understood why any parent feels the need to criticize their own child. I have come to the conclusion some parents are inadequate and feel threatened in some way, so they, by keeping a child down, remove any possibility of being bested. In my case criticism was coupled with ridicule and hysterical euphoric laughter from my parents, they laughed so much at me they damn near wet themselves!

I like this to quote by Mark Twain; “Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand”

Regarding ‘critique v critic’, people with no respect do not have a generous nature thus, annoyingly, have a whole lot of fun criticizing others; whereas constructive criticism is important for improvement and is given with due respect.

I was intrigued when you mentioned the bee photo, I absolutely love bees especially the white tailed bumble bee. :)

Molly

Ruth said...

Thanks Laurel and Molly.