Sunday, November 13, 2011

Wasting away

Muhammad Ali
The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

The one thing I can say about living these last 10 years is my life view has changed dramatically.   Ten years ago, after my cancer surgery, I was accused of changing.  He was right; I did.  Something about facing that very scary C word that used to be and sometimes still synonymous with death.  Things that I used to worry about just stopped being a big deal.  Things I used to let slide suddenly seemed the most important thing in the world.  Completing a bucket list before kicking the bucket became a higher priority.  Then came counseling.  You know.... Counseling is a scarier C word than cancer.  Cancer I lost a body part that I had been fairly attached to.  Counseling I nearly lost my mind.  Or more accurately I found my mind and spent hours piecing together shattered parts.  My mostly forgotten childhood became my personal boogie man that keeps me up late terrified of sleeping.  What I thought I knew was reality distorted.  Dreams that they told me were exaggerations were the truth and the truth I was told were lies.  After integration, my counselor asked me if I would rather be a pioneer that crossed the United States in handcarts late in the fall and caught by snow or be in counseling.  I told KavinCoach, "I'll make it easy for you, I would rather have cancer again then do what I am doing."  At least with cancer, you can cut it out, radiate, people believe you, they have walks and rallies for you.  But a person with a shattered mind, is the modern day leper.  People pull away from you, shun you cause *gasp* you are depressed, call you a liar, accuse you of doing this to get attention.  Do you realize that not one person accused me of having cancer to get attention?  I think Muhammad Ali's quotes have taken on a greater significance to me when I have fought a much bigger opponent than cancer.   

5 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

Go you!!

Anonymous said...

It is an easy thing for one whose foot is on the outside of calamity to give advice and to rebuke the sufferer.

AESCHYLUC (525 BC)

XX, Molly

Ruth said...

Thanks Laurel. (((Hugs to you)))

Molly I love that quote. Thank you.

mulderfan said...

My psychiatrist said things would have been easier for me if I had been physically abused and left with scars other people could see.

Instead of breaking my arm they broke me.

Hugs, P/M

Ruth said...

Invisible scars are the worst.