Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Changing the world

Mahatma Gandhi
My life is my message.

Mahatma Gandhi

I grew up with conversations at the dinner table about Mahatma Gandhi being on another hunger fast.  No small wonder he was so skinny.  As I got older, I started studying him more.  He became one of the first "The Difference of One" montages that I created.  When I was in counseling, KavinCoach assigned me to watch the movie of his life.  What did I learn?  The scene I was to pay special attention to was when he goes to vote and the guard knocks him down.  This happens over and over.  The thing that amazed me was that he kept getting up.  Sometimes I feel knocked down and the key is to get back up again.  Severe PTSD is getting knocked down about as far as you can get knocked emotionally.  I keep getting back up to try again.  Comments on this blog encourage me to keep sharing here.  I know my experience is not identical to everyone elses.  I just know that somewhere out there is someone that needs to know they are not alone in life's struggles.  PTSD with dissociation, DID, MPD, which ever acronym you want to use is tough.  KavinCoach told me about 6 months after I started seeing him that if he had known at the beginning what challenges I faced he would have recommended I see someone else for counseling.  My long term goal is for my life to be my message.  I hope that I can share that healing is possible.  Finding peace is possible.  Reclaiming my life from my fears is possible.  I know there are set backs.  Holidays are a wonderful time of the year and I feel like I am tiptoeing through a massive minefield.  Triggers and hidden and not so hidden pot holes of depression litter these next 2 months.  Perhaps this year, not only will I survive, but I will thrive during the holidays.  Last Thanksgiving was awesome.  I was relaxed and happy.  Going for a second year in a row.  Christmas....On a religious stand point it means a lot to me.  On emotional standpoint.... Weird Al's song about the 12 reasons why I hate Christmas brings a lot of laughter over stuff that ain't all that funny.  Laughing is more fun than crying for emotional release.  I am going to have several posts talking about my religious connections and I know for some readers this is a trigger.  I will post at the beginning when I post these so that you may choose to read on or not.  I know this is a season for many stresses for many reasons.  Poor economic conditions and unpredictable weather can make it worse.  But being poor and cold never worried me over much, being scared and tormented....that is much harder challenge for me.  Going into this Christmas season the posts may vary widely as I try to process all the emotions I used to stuff for Thanksgiving and nor really come out again until New Year.  Being integrated, changed my ability to stuff my emotions.  Reconnecting to emotions is a painfully joyous adventure.  Let the festivals begin and may every one negotiate a safe passage.  


7 comments:

Sandy said...

Here is to your happiest holiday season ever :)

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post!

You can’t have a better role model than Mahatma Gandhi apart from having a wonderful soul he was a very clever man. He most certainly made a difference to the world.

Your posts make a difference to me. I am learning a lot from them. Many times they are so powerful they move me to tears and today is one of them. I see this as positive and healing.

Thank you for replying to comments, Ruth (this shows you care about people) it is very much appreciated. :)

Molly

Ruth said...

Thanks Sandy. :)

Ruth said...

Thank you Molly, I appreciate your comment and I am glad I can share things that help you. Have a beautiful day. :)

mulderfan said...

Mohammed Ali said getting knocked down inside the ring or out is not wrong. It's not getting back up that is wrong!

ellen said...

I have a tough time with holidays also Ruth, especially Christmas. Usually I'd try and avoid it all together, but I think now that younger parts of me actually love aspects of it - the lights, decorations, cookies....So I am going to try and get some of that stuff at least, and see if it makes a difference. I like your idea of focusing on the religious aspect also, because that can be beautiful.

I'll have to watch Gandhi again - I'd forgotten that scene.

Interesting photo!

take care

Ruth said...

Thanks mulderfan for posting Ali's quote. It is one that I really like.

Thank you ellen for commenting. Sorry to hear Christmas is hard for you. I am glad to hear you are trying some new things this year. The photo was hard to get. Digital camera's hate low light and focusing on what I wanted was a bit of a trick. I am happy with how it turned out. :)