Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My Journey

Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to it’s not for them. — Unknown
http://positiveoutlooksblog.com/2014/05/12/its-your-journey/ 


 People seem to crave understanding. Teenagers scream at their parents, "You don't understand me!"  I sought counseling because I felt there was such a disconnect between what I tried to say and what came across to whoever was listening to me.  I felt like I was a prisoner forced to watch on the sidelines.  Biggest struggle was not understanding myself.  I seemed to do things and I didn't understand the reasons.  I behaved in ways that made no sense to me.  This was my journey and I felt a stranger.  Then I went to counseling.  My world turned upside down and inside out.  I was floored by what my journey entailed.  I struggled with accepting my own past.  I wondered if my life was a lie or just a dream and I would wake up and be a little girl that had nightmares.  Then I woke up and found out I was a grown woman with a nightmare childhood.  My daughter gave me a shirt with 'Love the Journey' stamped across the back.  So positive, so upbeat....but do I love the journey?  Do I finally love myself?  I keep saying I'm working on it but I wonder when I arrive.  How do I know if I finally love myself?  When do I understand my journey?


Feeling ruffled

My face or my mask

After the bend where does it go?

A single candle, ends the darkness.

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

In AA they tell us sobriety is not a destination, it's a journey. I say, "I am in recovery." b/c if I say, "I am recovered." it means I can go out and drink again.
Early days in my journey were on a very bumpy road. Now I enjoy the journey and hope it never ends.
Not sure if the above applies to your journey, but of course this is another example of my favourite AA saying "progress not perfection" not to mention "One day at a time."

Ruth said...

Thanks mulderfan.